Display twins photo
by Kameron Wilhelm

Why I Am Glad I Am Going to a Different College Than My Twin

By Kameron Wilhelm - Aug 04 2015

As summer draws closer to the end, I am finding myself spending more time with my twin before we go our separate ways, never truly leaving but rather spending a chapter or two without each other’s presence nearby. It is funny that only a few months ago, I spent minutes, hours and days agonizing over the hard choice of choosing which college I wanted to spend the next four years of my life at. Karling had already chosen to attend Virginia Tech, but I still had yet to choose.

It wasn’t until I went to CHOICES (an open house event for admitted students to understand more about the college) at James Madison University that really pushed me in the right direction. Although, I knew that I would miss my twin dearly, I had to make my own path with my own friends and lifestyle without the comforting presence of my twin.

Karling and I have spent more time together than one could image because of the unusual bond that twins have. I will say that this will truly be the first time we will be apart for a long period of time. In the past, the most we have been apart was for two weeks when Karling went off to a Girl Scout summer camp when we were in middle school.

It makes me sad to think that I can no longer just take a few steps outside of my room and across the hall to Karling’s room if I want to talk to her. Instead we will be 136 miles apart, which is an hour and 58 minute-drive — not including traffic. I am sad that I will no longer have a partner-in-crime nearby. I will miss borrowing her clothes and shoes. I will miss our bonding time, which involved sitting next to each other reading books.

But I am glad that we chose different colleges to attend because we can bring different perspectives, thoughts, experiences and ideas (even if we already do, but this time in two different environments). With the past 18 years of our lives having been spent with the same close knit friendships, school events, teachers and classmates, extracurricular activities and so forth, I am excited for this new change where about 99.99 percent of the school population won’t know that I am a twin. Where I can learn and live in an environment that no one will compare me to my twin. But I am going to miss sharing things with her.

Many people have asked how we feel about going off to different colleges. We both look at each other and shrug because we have come to terms with it and we are OK with this. We know that FaceTime will essentially become our time and snail mail will always be a comforting factor as we send not only goodies, but clothing. We know that it isn’t like we are going to two different countries and we will see each other during break.

I know that I am not the only one going through these mixed feelings. It isn’t just twins facing this, but we as freshman are looking eagerly to the near future, and deep inside, we are unsure of the separation from what we have known for the past 13 years of our life. The security of our family and friends will no longer be in the immediate area. As Helen Keller once said, “Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.” We must remember that this is a daring adventure that we have to take alone.

Lead Image Credit: Rachel Adams

Kameron Wilhelm - James Madison University

Kameron Wilhelm is a freshman at James Madison University majoring in International Business. She enjoys curling up in a comfortable chair with a cup of tea while reading novels and memoirs. Some of her other passions include photography, geocaching, fashion and cooking. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @totesitskam.