Display being alone the first month of college isnt all that bad
by Kameron Wilhelm

Being Alone the First Month of College Isn't All That Bad

By Kameron Wilhelm - Sep 24 2015

There is a lot of misconception about being alone. The most common comment I hear is that it is uncomfortable. My hall-mates and I have a group message that often buzzes before meals. Every day, without fail, there is someone sending a message inquiring about meeting up to get food because they do not want to eat by themselves. I believe that you should not be afraid to be by yourself.

- You get to meet new people.

As organizations and clubs begin their interest meetings, you have the opportunity to meet new people that you might otherwise have if you had brought someone with you. But these opportunities do not limit only to clubs, but can be related to simply walking around campus. I have met some really awesome people that I would not have even interacted with, if I had brought a friend with me. Even as I was writing this, I had met a girl in the library who has the same professor as me, but at a different time.

- Reflection upon who you are as a person.

In my Problem Solving class, we are discussing about how in today’s society being alone anywhere is unheard of. We are challenged to give ourselves time to be alone and reflect upon our inner thoughts and not try and busy ourselves with technology. This can also be used to reflect upon our actions and the actions of others.

- Push yourself outside of your comfort zone.

Let us be honest here, we do not like to be uncomfortable. Sometimes we go out of our way to ensure that we do not have to experience the sense of uncomfortableness. As I said before, there are so many opportunities to experience new things, meet new people, but these opportunities will likely take you out of your comfort zone.

- No pressure to be with friends all the time.

When you are alone, you no longer have that pressure to continue talking with another person. You can, instead, focus on your surroundings and get a fuller experience. Or maybe you have a book that you want to read but haven’t had time, then go out and get coffee (or tea in my case) and enjoy the atmosphere of a café shop while reading a book.

- Find people who you actually enjoy hanging out with.

I know the first month or so of college, there were people that I was hanging out with that I did not have similar tastes or views. While I enjoyed getting to know them since we were hall-mates after, I wanted to find a group of individuals who had similar interests and ideas. I challenge you to break off from them because you can then focus on taking your time to find a group of individuals who you enjoy hanging out with.

My problem solving class watched a video, How to Be Alone by Andrea Dorfman, and it had been really thought provoking. This is an excerpt of what she has to say: “Society is afraid of alonedom, like lonely hearts are wasting away in basements, like people must have problems if, after a while, nobody is dating them. But lonely is a freedom that breaths easy and weightless and lonely is healing if you make it.” So the next time you are alone, do not just try and fill the space with technology or ask a friend to come and meet you. But rather take that time and enjoy it by yourself because you never know you might learn something about yourself or meet someone who ends up becoming your best friend.

Leading Image Credit: We Heart It

Kameron Wilhelm - James Madison University

Kameron Wilhelm is a freshman at James Madison University majoring in International Business. She enjoys curling up in a comfortable chair with a cup of tea while reading novels and memoirs. Some of her other passions include photography, geocaching, fashion and cooking. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @totesitskam.