by Kamari Stewart

Where to Go If You're Spending Christmas in New York

By Kamari Stewart - Dec 20 2016

There’s no doubt that holidays are the best time of the year, but nothing compares to spending Christmas in New York City. Whether it’s your first Christmas in the city or you’ve been here for every Christmas since you were born, the feeling never gets old. Most New Yorkers can attest to the fact that there’s just something in the air around Christmastime. That being said, spending Christmas in New York can definitely be overwhelming. With so many things to do, it can be hard to narrow down where to go and what to see. Here are the top five stops on a Christmas adventure in New York City.

1. Holiday Markets

Kamari Stewart

Carnival-esque tents circle around Union Square, Columbus Circle, Bryant Park, Madison Square Park and many other locations. There's no shortage of interesting tents at these markets. Whether you’re looking for framed posters or a quick bite to eat, each market has everything you want and everything you didn’t know you needed. It’s easy to get lost in a sea of lights that are strung along the tops of tents. These markets have all of your holiday needs available in one area; what could be better than that?!

2. SantaLand

Kamari Stewart

Whether you grew up believing in Santa or not, there’s something about sitting on Santa’s lap and telling him what you want for Christmas that makes you feel like a little kid again. There’s no better place to see Santa than to visit SantaLand at Macy’s in Herald Square! While the wait times can get out of control, they even solved that problem by allowing you to make reservations anywhere from 30 minutes to 48 hours before you see the man himself! Didn’t make a reservation? No problem. The decorated path that leads you to the big man will leave you so awestruck you don’t even realize how long you’ve been waiting.

3. Saks Fifth Ave

Camryn Podgorski

A big part of Christmas in New York City are the amazing displays that shops have in their windows. Saks Fifth Ave is no different, but they take it even further. On the side of the store that’s facing the infamous tree in Rockefeller Center, Saks displays a light show that incorporates animations into their window displays. The whole scene will make you feel like you’re watching something out of a storybook come to life right before your eyes.

4. Dyker Heights, Brooklyn

Undoubtedly one of the best parts of the holidays is seeing all of the houses decorated with candy canes and lights everywhere. Dyker Heights in Brooklyn is the place to be for the best decorated houses you’ll ever see. The lights may be enough to blind you and, if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably wonder how high their electricity bill is around this time of year, but none of that takes around from how beautiful it all is.

5. Rockefeller Center

Yenibal Almanzar

Of course, we can’t forget the most important part of Christmas in NYC! The tree at Rockefeller Center is a staple in any NYC Christmas Adventure. Whether you go with your family, your significant other or a group of friends, all 94 feet of the tree with its shimmering lights will leave you amazed by its beauty.

Finals are winding down, but everyone needs a break. What better way to take a break than take in the sights of Christmas around NYC? A Christmas adventure around one of the best cities in the world sounds like a great stress reliever to me. 

Kamari Stewart - Pace University

Pace University 2020. Journalism major/Public Relations minor. Book enthusiast. Instagram @kamariannamarie.