by Kali Luthra

5 Healthy Habits to Actually Take Up in College

By Kali Luthra - Jul 05 2017

Starting healthy habits is a great way to hit the ground running. We are moving out of the comfort of our homes and starting a new chapter in our lives in which good, positive habits would help balance out the other aspects. Social lives, schools and keeping your body in check can be time consuming, so follow these small and easy habits to make a difference in your lifestyle. 

1. Stay organized.

Make a to-do list! It is a great way to stay on task and see what needs to be done.

Bluelahe via Instagram

Instagram user @bluelahe uses a "migration" technique to plan out the week. In an interview with Rachel Miller from Buzzfeed, @bluelahe explains the process:

"1. I write on the left a header with the days of the week, one for each column.
2. When I add a task on the right, I pair it with a square on the left. (This way I schedule the task for the day that corresponds to that column).
3. For migration*, you can rewrite the unfinished task (to make yourself more aware of it).
4. Or you can just draw a square next to the previous one (You can see an example in the pic at the bottom of the running list).
5. You can also track recurring tasks by drawing multiple squares, one for each day."

*"Migration" is bullet journal speak for "moving things you didn't finish today/this week/this month to the next day/week/month." 

Amazon

One of the best ways to get organized is to get a planner. Try Marble Planner, it has a minimalist design and is so chic! Buy this here!

Amazon

Or this planner to subtly remind you of spring/summer all year round. Buy this here.

Amazon

This one is perfect if you prefer a solid color. It increases your productivity and happiness, and did I mention that it comes with stickers? Buy this here.

2. Maintain health and fitness.

Staying healthy is one of the most important factors in your college life and there are a plethora of ways to stay healthy and active! Here are some free apps to help in your journey to finding a healthy balance for yourself.

Sworkit 

Trés Belle 

Sworkit is perfect for when you are on a timed schedule or can't make it to the gym. You can work out in the comfort of your home or in your dorm. You can personalize the timings so your workout fits right into your schedule. Every exercise comes with a mini demo video so you know exactly how to do the workout. Download here for Apple devices. Download here for Samsung devices. 

8fit

Sports+Travel Singapore

8fit pushes you to achieve your fitness goals, gives meal plan ideas and also plays free music right on the app! It's perfect for workouts anywhere! Download here for Apple devices. Download here for Samsung devices. 

5 Minute Yoga

Pastemagazine

The 5 Minute Yoga app is perfect for beginners and is exactly what the name implies: "5 minutes!" Yoga is great for relaxing and keeping your stress down, building your strength and balance. 

3. Drink more water.

Water helps keep your skin clear, keeps you energized and is one of the necessities of life so why not drink more of it?

Amazon

This S'well water bottle keeps your drinks cold for 24 hours and hot for 12 hours. I can personally vouch for this. It's hands down one of the best water bottles I own! I put ice in the bottle, and the next day the ice is still there with little to no melt! It comes in a variety of colors and styles and is easy to carry around. Buy it here.

Amazon

If you want to spice up your water intake, this glass water bottle is perfect for you. The bottle contains an infuser excellent for mixing your favorite fruits or tea! Try oranges for a sweet citrus taste or mint and lemon for a cold refreshing feel or berries for that summertime heat! Buy it here.

blog.drinkhint.com

Use Waterlogged to keep track of how much you're drinking in a day! It sends you reminders so you are constantly hydrated! It works seamlessly with Fitbits and smartwatches. Download for Apple. Download for Android.

4. Read a book that interests you.

Amazon

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson is a number one best seller on Amazon for criminal justice. Stevenson vividly paints a picture of the injustice within the incarceration system in the United States. It is a true page turner and perfect to read on the quad of your university or a place you find most comfortable. Buy the book here.

Amazon

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri is a collection of stories about Indian-Americans and their adjustment into society. It's a great book that really sheds light on the lives of Indian Americans and the different types of hardships they face. Buy it here.

Amazon

If you did not read it in high school, I highly recommend reading it now. George Orwell paints a chilling picture of the future and our government. It's a great science fiction book to unwind with at the end of the day. Buy it here.

5. Finally, take time for yourself. 

Treat yourself to a nice meal.

Stokpic.com

Watch your favorite shows.

Jens Kreuter via Unsplash

Take up a hobby that interests you!

Russn_fckr via Unsplash

Be yourself! It is the most important part of leading healthy habits in college; happiness equals healthy. Start taking time for yourself. After all, the most important healthy habit to pick up is doing whatever makes you happy.

Lead Image Credit: Pineapple Supply Co. via Unsplash

Kali Luthra - American University