by Kali Luthra

5 Healthy Drinks College Students Can Make on the Low

By Kali Luthra - Jul 25 2017

College is stressful. Classes, social life and passing that big test are all so much that sometimes we do not have time to look out for ourselves. We can spend a weekend eating unhealthy foods without knowing it and end up feeling lethargic the next day. These drinks are here to help combat the laziness. Sometimes you just don't want to drink water, but other drinks can be unhealthy. Drink these five drinks to help keep your body in check and refreshed! These are drinks with very few ingredients and everything can be obtained at the local grocery store. These are no-blender recipes so the only tools you need are a spoon and cup.

1. Turmeric Milk (Golden Milk)

Turmeric milk is an excellent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It helps in the strengthening of the immune system and purifies the blood, making it a great detox. This "golden milk" is easy to make and its benefits run over a page long. To list a few, it is an easy fix for any cough or cold. It works well for providing relief instantaneously. As a blood purifier, it can improve the circulation of blood in your body, leaving you more energized and your skin glowing. Did I mention that it helps keep your skin clear? Drink this to also get rid of acne and dark spots.

Here's the recipe: 1 cup of whatever milk you prefer (whole, 2%, almond, etc.), heated; 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric (available in the spice section at any grocery store); 1 tablespoon of honey (optional); 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional). Stir together and enjoy!

2. Water with Lemon, Ginger and Honey

Water with lemon, ginger and honey is a great immune system booster. This drink is amazing for perfect skin and hair. It contains rich deposits of vitamins A and C which are great for healthy hair growth and skin glow. It also helps nausea, indigestion and bloating.

Here's the recipe: 1 cup of warm/hot water; 1 lemon, squeezed; 1 tablespoon of honey; 1-inch slice of ginger grated, peeled or chopped. Stir together and enjoy!

3. Cucumber, Mint and Lemon Water

This drink is an instant refresher; it contains three ingredients to immediately hydrate you. The lemon, cucumber and mint drink can cool you down on any hot day. The lemon helps cleanse the body and builds the immune system. The mint is a cooler; it helps make your body feel fresh and clean. The cucumber is a natural hydrator and also works as an anti-inflammatory. This drink is a good, refreshing detox and is best when served cold.

Here's how to make it: 1 cup of water; 1 lemon, squeezed; a few leaves of mint; a couple slices of cucumber (half of a cucumber will do); 1 tablespoon of honey (optional) to make it a little sweet. Stir together, add ice (optional) and enjoy!

4. Turmeric Tonic Shot 

This is a great detoxifier. The "wellness shot" is here to keep your body in check. It works as an anti-bacterial and energy booster. The ginger helps as an anti-inflammatory and increases circulation. The lemon is a great source of vitamin C and contains antioxidants. The turmeric has endless benefits with no side affects. Drink this for an instant pick-me-up or simply to keep your body in check.

Here's the recipe: 1 cup water (coconut is preferable but regular water is fine); 1 lemon, squeezed; 1 inch of grated/chopped ginger; 1 tablespoon of honey for taste (optional). Mix together and enjoy. (This tastes better when it's cold.)

5. Morning Detox 

Wake up feeling motivated and ready to take on the world with this morning detox drink. The apple cider vinegar is great for solving indigestion, balancing the pH levels of the body, reducing bloating and helping with aches and pains. The lemon has powerful antioxidant properties and contains vitamin C, which is good for your immune system. The cayenne pepper is a great kick to this drink. It wakes you right up, increases circulation of the blood and breaks up the mucus and toxins in your body. Drink this any time of the day for an instant detox.

This is the recipe: 1 cup of water (add less to make more concentrated, add more to make more diluted); 1 tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar; 1 lemon, squeezed; 1-2 tablespoons of honey; cayenne pepper and cinnamon, to taste. Stir together and enjoy! You can use either warm or cold water. 

Keep drinking these in addition to water to truly see a difference in your lifestyle. You will feel more motivated and your health will be exceptional.

Lead Image Credit: Toa Heftiba via Unsplash

Editor's note: These recipes have not been endorsed by the Food and Drug Administration. Please consume with your own personal health in mind.
Kali Luthra - American University