Display train commute
by Kailyn Slater

8 Things Suburban Commuters Are Tired of Hearing

By Kailyn Slater - Nov 11 2015

1. “It must be nice to see your parents every day!”

Oh yeah, so nice. So much so that it doesn’t even feel like I went off to college! Ha. Honestly, though, it seriously still feels like I never left high school and I just take a train every day to the city. I still have a curfew, I still have to do chores, the whole shabang.

2. “I miss home cooked meals! You’re so lucky!”

Truly, it’s a nice perk of still living at home, but when you have a part-time job and need to work in the studios/library/etc past evening, you rarely get a chance to sit down for that home-cooked dinner with your family (except on weekends). Unfortunately, I’ve definitely had more fast food downtown than home-cooked food.

3. “I wish I could still sleep in my own bed.”

Again, it’s a nice perk. It’s the one thing I’m glad I didn’t give up.

4. “You’re definitely saving a ton of money.”

I hear this every single time I talk about my commute. Yeah, it’s financially a good decision and everything, but it is SO emotionally, mentally, and physically draining. My entire morning routine, from waking up to starting class, is two and a half hours. Essentially, I get up at 6:30AM to get to class by 9AM.

5. “How do you know all of the train times?!”

Oh, honey. I memorized every single morning train and every single evening/night train, in and out of two different stations, in two weeks. I need to know my options on the fly.

6. “You must get a good work out from walking a mile from the train to class!”

If you mean that I’m out of breath and sweating every time I get to class from walking seven city blocks, and that constitutes as a good work out, sure. You could say that.

7. “I bet skipping class is super easy, you’d never get caught because you’re still at home.”

When you’re living with your parents, skipping class and sleeping in is nearly impossible when everyone else in your house gets up after you leave, so they’ll know if you’re still home because your car is still in the driveway. Ugh.

8. “I could never get up at 6AM just to get to my 9AM.” / “It takes me 2 minutes to get to class on time, I don’t know how you do it!”

Ha, I don’t know how I do it either. Having a class at 7AM in high school for four years straight definitely prepared me for this, but if you’re not used to getting up that early every day you have class, it’s truly the worst part about commuting—early mornings, late nights. 

Basically, commuting sucks. Yeah, you save money by not living downtown, but if you are going to commute, say goodbye to your sanity. Essentially, say goodbye to feeling like you're "in college," whatever that means.

Lead Image Credit: Flickr

Kailyn Slater - School of the Art Institute of Chicago

Kailyn Slater is a first year student at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago studying Art & Technology Studies, Sculpture, Writing, Video, and Sound. She does everything and anything with a computer, while concurrently eating waffles and being sarcastic.