by Kailyn Slater

8 Nonfiction Books to Read This Semester

By Kailyn Slater - Mar 06 2016

Let's face it: strictly reading fiction novels can be a drag sometimes. And, with most popular young adult fiction becoming blockbuster films, imagination can be hard to come by. Who doesn't love to delve into the actual minds of real people, and get their own perspectives on their personal life? 

1. "Yes Please" by Amy Poehler

goodreads.com

Amy Poehler is probably one of my favorite human beings/actresses/comedians to ever exist. Her autobiographical novel gives you the full story on her humble beginnings in Boston to legendary stardom...various improv groups, two kids, and a divorce later. 

Get it for $12.61.

2. "Bossypants" by Tina Fey

goodreads.com

As one of the most consistently feminist comedians to ever kill the game, Tina Fey proves herself once again to be a shining writer, woman and being in "Bossypants." 

Get it for $7.66.

3. "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?" by Mindy Kaling

goodreads.com

Mindy Kaling--similarly to Tina Fey and Amy Poehler--has been a driving force in the world of feminist comedy, and this book (among others of hers) does not fall short. She also gives her incredibly dynamic and wonderful perspective as a female person of color in the world of entertainment. 

Get it for $10.28.

4. "Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand in the Sun, and Be Your Own Person" by Shonda Rhimes

amazon.com

If you've ever watched "Grey's Anatomy," "Scandal," or "How to Get Away With Murder," you need to read the book of the person who manages to pull on your heart strings and kill your dreams every Thursday night. She's pretty inspiring, actually.

Get it for $11.66.

5. "The Bedwetter" by Sarah Silverman

amazon.com

Sarah Silverman's feisty, spit-fire, and honest attitude gives the reader a fresh spin on the world quickly happening around you, and how you two can redeem yourself from being "The Bedwetter."

Get it for $9.51.

6. "Modern Romance" by Aziz Ansari and Eric Klinenberg

goodreads.com

As of late, Aziz Ansari specifically has been creating work based on the topics of love and romance--before you watch "Master of None," read "Modern Romance." It will definitely help you feel better about your love life (or lack thereof).

Get it for $13.02.

7. "Humans of New York Stories" by Brandon Stanton

goodreads.com

If you've had a Facebook, you have probably noticed the incredible amount of pictorial stories captured by photographer Brandon Stanton. This book actually gives you a hard copy of the most viral, incredible stories that Brandon encapsulated.

Get it for $18.54.

8. "Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear" by Elizabeth Gilbert

goodreads.com

This book especially appealed to me, as an artist, writer, and creator: Elizabeth Gilbert goes into depth about generating creativity when you're stuck behind a wall of fear, apprehension, and anxiety. Plus, the cover is absolutely beautiful, and who didn't love "Eat, Pray, Love?"

Get it for $10.70.

As part of Amazon's Affiliate program, Fresh U may receive a small portion of sales resulting from this article. 

Kailyn Slater - School of the Art Institute of Chicago

Kailyn Slater is a first year student at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago studying Art & Technology Studies, Sculpture, Writing, Video, and Sound. She does everything and anything with a computer, while concurrently eating waffles and being sarcastic.