Display imrs.php
by Justine Kim

A Definitive Ranking of Malia Obama's Potential Colleges

By Justine Kim - Nov 03 2015

Malia Obama is one of the few million students who will be applying to colleges to be a part of the class of 2020. Although the press has been covering which schools Malia has toured, not everyone is aware of each school that the first daughter has and/or will apply to. So we put together a list of hopefuls. In light of the recent beer pong scandal at Brown University, Brown has sadly not made the top ten universities that the first daughter SHOULD (according to Fresh U) attend. 

10. Barnard College

Barnard boasts prominent alumni such as Martha Stewart and Gilmore Girls actress Lauren Graham and was recently rated 42nd of the top 50 universities in the United States by Forbes. President Obama recently gave the 2012 commencement speech at Barnard College which also happens to be across the street from his alma mater, Columbia University. Malia would have access to Columbia and its resources and attend a small tight-knit institution.

New York Times

9. New York University

Located in Greenwich Village, NYU has a campus that is distinct yet blends into the city landscape. Should Malia choose NYU, she would be going to a school used to having high profile students such as Karlie Kloss, Dylan and Cole Sprouse, and the Olsen twins. Although NYU is in lower Manhattan, Malia would have access to a world not sheltered by the White House.

NYU

8. Tufts University

Tufts was ranked as the 25th best national university by US News and has the 14th best international relations program according to Foreign Policy so if Malia wants follow in her diplomatic father’s footsteps, Tufts is the place for her.

Collegeview

7. University of Chicago

The University of Chicago has consistently been in the top ten national university rankings over the past several years. President Obama was previously a Senior Lecturer at the University of Chicago’s Law School and Malia had attended the University of Chicago Laboratory School before moving to Washington DC.

Out of Chicago

6. Wellesley College

Wellesley is one of the highest ranking all female institutions in the U.S. and has notable alumni such as former Secretary of States (and possible successor to her father) Hillary Clinton and Madeleine Albright along with Diane Sawyer. Malia would also be able to cross-register other universities and have access to schools like Brandeis, Babson, and MIT.

The Wellesley News

5. Yale University

Should Malia go to Yale she would follow the footsteps of previous First Daughter Barbara Pierce Bush. Yale is a overall great school and although it’s the rival of her parents’ alma mater, the campus is used to high profile students.

Her Campus

4. Northwestern University

Although not a choice that was revealed to the press, Northwestern University is of the caliber that many of Malia’s top choices are in. President Obama most recently spoke in the Cahn Auditorium last year and the Evanston campus is close to her childhood home in Hyde Park. Her status as a First Daughter would blend in with the children of other prominent figures.

Northwestern University

3. Columbia University

The President’s alma mater was recently toured by the First Daughter and the First Lady and has the world renowned Columbia University School of the Arts. Although Malia may not be 100% sure what career she wants to pursue, she has experience on HBO’s Girls and CBS’s Extant.

Columbia University

1 (TIED). Princeton University/Harvard University

Both the President and the First Lady are graduates of the prestigious Harvard Law School and with Harvard’s legacy preference and her credentials, Malia is a shoo-in to Harvard. The First Lady is a graduate of Princeton University and an honorary member of Princeton’s chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, an African-American sorority.

Huffington Post

Whatever school she decides to attend, though, will be more than lucky to have her. We're wishing her luck with the application process! 

Lead Image Credit: Washington Post

Justine Kim - Northwestern University

Justine Kim is a freshman at Northwestern University. She is currently Undecided and spends her free time reading self help books, eating dairy free froyo, and listening to jazz EDM. She also has a passion for social justice and politics, however, can't make up her mind about the 2016 presidential candidates. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @jkimmy7.