Display person looking searching clean
by Julia Boyle

5 Lessons Your Parents Can Teach You Before You Go Off to College

By Julia Boyle - Aug 17 2017

When it comes time for college, many students are excited to leave their parents and finally gain some freedom. They look at it as an amazing opportunity they can't wait to get their hands on. However, there are some important lessons that every incoming college student should learn from their parents before they leave.

1. Laundry

This may seem like a simple lesson, but nonetheless, it's important to know. Some incoming students have gone their whole life so far not having to do their own laundry. If this is the case, it's important to know the basics such as what the different tag symbols mean and how to operate a washer and dryer. Don't be that student who tries to go as long as they can without doing laundry and wait until they come home.

2. Cleaning

When living in such a tiny space, you might not think your dorm can get that dirty. However, you'd be surprised what could happen. It's always a good idea to know how to clean up basic messes and rooms, as well what cleaning products you need. Don't try and go the whole semester without cleaning a thing until you leave for winter break. It won't be a pretty sight.

3. Cooking

This one might seem unnecessary with dorm life, as you usually eat at the dining hall. However, you'll be surprised how quickly it will be until you're in your own place with a kitchen and no meal plan. It's never too early to learn how to cook basic meals for yourself. Your parent will not come to your house every night and make you dinner.

4. Meeting people in college.

This one might seem like something you wouldn't go to your parents for, but when you really think about it, they might be a good source for this lesson. If you think about it, there's a good chance you've been friends with the same people for 12 years, in which case, you haven't needed to worry about new relationships. Now that you're all parting ways, it's time to meet new people. Your parents have possibly gone through this whole college thing, or something similar, and had to meet new people and make new relationships. Maybe they have some advice to spare.

5. Finding what you want to do.

If you're just about to enter college, there's a good chance you have no idea what you want to do. That's OK because it is normal. If it is something that you're worried about, your parents might be good people to talk to. Whether they went to college or not, they went through some sort of process to get to where they are now. They've experienced the panic of not knowing what to do. Maybe having a talk with them will calm you down, as well as give you some tips on how to start your search.

Now I'm sure you're excited to pack up and leave the house as soon as possible. But before you start, enjoy the time you have left with your parents and use it wisely. You never know what you might learn from them. 

Julia Boyle -

I am a freshman at Millersville University. I am majoring in English. I enjoy writing, reading, and playing the piano. When I'm not doing those things I can often be found watching Gilmore Girls.