by Joseph Zapinski

We Did An Informal Survey Of Our Gen Z Audience And This Is What We Learned

By Joseph Zapinski - Mar 17 2017

A new generation of consumers known as Gen Z is shaping the way companies approach marketing themselves and their products. Consisting of anyone born between 1996 and 2010, this generation has grown up surrounded by technology and is considered to be digitally native. Fresh U wanted to learn about Gen Z as it makes up the large majority of our readers, so we did a survey and turned our findings into an infographic.

Our goal with this survey was to better understand our Gen Z audience, including their buying habits, how they consume their media and what issues worry them. The large majority of our respondents were female (223) and in college (86.9%.)

Here are a some important takeaways from our survey:

1. They prefer Snapchat and Facebook to any other social media platform.

2. 65.1% are most likely to buy a product because of a friend’s recommendation.

3. Unsurprisingly, the majority of people surveyed watch the most videos on Youtube however, Facebook was second with 36%. This could be because of Facebook’s shift to video content.

4. 74.3% of respondents voted and 65.1% said they try to stay up to date with political news. This could suggest that Gen Z is very involved in politics.

5. 74.7% of respondents were worried about not finding a job they enjoy.

Note: Information below is based on total number of responses, not total number of individuals who responded. This informal survey was conducted through Google Forms and was sent to Fresh U contributors, as well as posted to Fresh U’s social media channels.

Joseph Zapinski - University of Nebraska–Lincoln

Joseph Zapinski is a freshman at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln majoring in Advertising and Spanish with minors in Global Studies and Business. He has a passion for other cultures and learning languages; he speaks Spanish and is learning French. You can follow him on Twitter @zapinski_ and on Instagram @jdzapinski.