Display fullsizerender
by Jordan Ellis

Repeat or Redemption: A Preview of the College Football Playoff National Championship Game

By Jordan Ellis - Jan 09 2017

For the second year in a row, we get to watch the same two powerhouses go against each other in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game. The ACC’s best in the Clemson Tigers will go head to head with the SEC’s best, the Alabama Crimson Tide. Replacing the BCS system in 2015, the young and new College Football Playoffs system has made college football fans even more excited about their favorite time of year.

But this year? Only its third year in existence, the CFP is proving to capture the drama and titanic match-up the committee hoped for.

On Monday, January 9th at 8pm, fans everywhere will be tuning into ESPN for what has been dubbed as “The Rematch”. 

The hype surrounding this game is insane, even if fans are not particularly part of either school. Why? Because what is clear is that for the second year in a row, truly the best two teams in the country are meeting for all the marbles.

It’s no secret that Nick Saban and his team are an unstoppable force; as they are carrying a 14-0 record into this year’s game, we find ourselves wondering if they’ll ever be stopped. Well, last year Clemson proved it just might be possible. While Bama did pull out the win, Clemson put up a notable fight, giving fans a thriller, ending the game only trailing 5 points (45-40) to arguably the strongest team in College Football.

So, last year, Clemson proved that Alabama isn’t totally indestructible. And if anyone is going to beat them, it’s Clemson. They’re back and ready for redemption.

And something tells me we can expect nothing short of another thriller for the 2017 matchup.

It’s so exciting, even Dabo had to get his selfie game on:

The Tide’s dominance has become a dynasty. Their defense stands like a brick wall. Even when a team lost to Saban’s powerhouse, if they were able to keep it close, their loss might be a little less painful and they might still have a little pride… might.

We’re talking about a team that shut out LSU this year. Obviously, they don’t mess around.

Most teams don’t create much of a challenge for Alabama. But Clemson? They’re a different story.

Two words make Clemson different: Deshaun Watson. Last year, Watson completed 30 of 47 passes against Bama, for 405 yards, 4 touchdowns and 1 interception. Watson proved he wasn’t scared of Alabama last year. But this year he’s even stronger because of a 6-foot-3 addition to his offense.

Mike Williams. This kid is good. I’m talking 1,267 yards, 90 grabs and 10 TDs in the 2016 season, good. Bama may have the defense, but Clemson has the offense.

Saban vs Dabo. Tigers vs Tide. A rematch that just might be more exciting than the original.

Buckle up, College Football fans.

Will we see a repeat or redemption?

Lead Image Credits: Becca Pulsifer

Jordan Ellis - University of Florida

University of Florida | Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can't lose. | Journalism | Christ Follower | Puppy Lover | Sports Fanatic