Display untitledlsu
by Jordan Ellis

Beloved Tiger Of Louisiana State University Dies Of Cancer

By Jordan Ellis - Oct 14 2016

College football is rich with traditions. Each school seems to have something that makes them unique, giving the fan base and student body traditions to root their school pride in.

For LSU, it’s Mike the Tiger.

Mike was the live mascot of the Louisiana State University Tigers that lived on-campus since he was adopted by LSU at the age of two. Sadly, Mike was diagnosed with spindle cell sarcoma in May of 2016. The beloved tiger underwent treatment on June 1st at Mary Bird Perkins – Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center, the NCAA reports. And on October 10th 2016, Mike entered hospice care in his night house. According to the NCAA, after nine happy years on LSU’s campus, being a focal point of the school’s spirit and pride, Mike VI passed away on October 11th, 2016.

NCAA reports ensure LSU fans and the college football world that caretakers stood by Mike and made sure he did not suffer, reporting further: 

He was humanely euthanized in his night house by LSU’s Attending Veterinarian David Baker, DVM, Ph.D.

Mike VI was in good hands and well loved. Since his passing, not only LSU fans but the entire CFB community has poured in with support. There will be no formal memorial service for Mike, but #MikeVI has been a viral outlet for fans everywhere to pour in their support, memories and love.

Even fellow SEC school, Arkansas, expressed their support, sending flowers from their mascot, Tusk.

LSU has begun the search for a new baby male tiger. Like Mike IV, V and VI, the school hopes to receive their next tiger as a donation from a rescue facility.

As LSU grieves, the SEC and all of CFB stands behind them.

Mike VI will be missed dearly.

Lead Image Credits: LSU Tigers Twitter

Jordan Ellis - University of Florida

University of Florida | Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can't lose. | Journalism | Christ Follower | Puppy Lover | Sports Fanatic