by Johana Guerra-Martinez

UCLA: Future Home of Olympian Madison Kocian

By Johana Guerra-Martinez - Aug 19 2016

Olympic hype has kept many of us entertained and energetic throughout much of the summer. However, the excitement of these games that have fans cheering around the world will end soon. What will we obsess over afterewards? For many college students, the beginning of the school year will consume the rest of our attention and focus. But who says we can’t carry that Olympic spirit with us to college? Incoming students at UCLA can anticipate the unique glory of attending college with the confirmed incoming of the future Bruin and Olympic champion, Madison Kocian.

Specializing on bars, Kocian performed exceptionally to help the US Olympic team earn gold in the all-around team final. In an interview, Kocian said

I’ve signed with UCLA for the fall of 2016. I already know the UCLA 8 clap!

Kocian had deferred from college from a year, but it remained in her plan. Still, she is not the only Olympian to pursue college, specifically at UCLA, after the Olympics. She will be joined with past OlympiansBoth Madison Kocian and Kyla Ross, 2012 Olympic gold medalist, will be competing for UCLA’s gymnastics team in 2017. Moreover, they will be coached by Chris Waller, 1992 Olympian, and Jordyn Wieber, another 2012 Olympic gold medalist.

UCLA will have representation in women’s gymnastics at the last nine Olympic Games with a total of 22 Bruin gymnasts and five non-competing alumnae making the Olympic teams.

In the qualifying round, the U.S. team had finished first place approximately 10 points ahead of China in second. Then, by earning an outstanding 15.933 on uneven bars, Kocian helped secure the gold for the US in the All-Around team final. The team total was 8.209 points and the largest victory margin since the scoring system had been updated to the current open-ended scoring method.

Although she was coming into the uneven bars final in first place, Kocian ended up with a silver medal, placing second to Aliya Mustafina. Her score was 15.833 to Mustafina's 15.900. Regardless, her performance was outstanding and she definitely has done her part exceptionally to bring home medals for the U.S.

Incoming students at UCLA will carry with them Bruin Pride AND Olympic Spirit with them as they begin classes this fall. May the glory of the Olympics rub off some good fortune for the rest of us!

Lead Image Credit: UCLA Gymnastics via Twitter 

Johana Guerra-Martinez - University of California, Los Angeles

Johana is a UCLA Bruin and International Baccalaureate Full Diploma Graduate. Raised in San Bernardino, she enjoys public speaking, puppies, and is a first-year majoring in Political Science. She is also Mexican, trilingual, and always hopeful for more.