Display tumblr mdilrxyn7h1rl3yq7o1 500
by Joanne Iglesias

How I Got Over My Fear Of Going to the Gym

By Joanne Iglesias - Feb 11 2016

Large equipment. Intense machines. Heavy weights. For me, the gym has always been a place I was afraid of going to. Whenever I pictured myself stepping into the room, my palms would become sweaty and my heart rate would increase.

I guess you could say my fear of going to the gym is due to the fact that I’ve always been terrified of how people perceive me. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always been afraid of being judged by other people. Being that I’m not the strongest individual or the most athletic person out there, the gym has never been a place of comfort for me.

If someone were to ask me to do push-ups right now, I could honestly possibly do a solid three. That’s about it.

However, about a few weeks ago, after being slightly breathless after walking a few flights of stairs, I realized that I needed to get back into shape. I had to go to the gym.

imgur.com

The first time going to my campus gym was an extremely nerve wracking experience. It felt as if I tumbled down the rabbit hole, into a whole new world. The massive equipment overwhelmed me. Not to mention the tons of buff guys and athletes. Being that I’m 4'11, it felt weird standing next to people that were 6' or taller. I felt so out of place. I even thought of just leaving all together, but I stayed. I did my workout and left feeling great.

In order to get rid of my fear, I faced it head on. I didn’t let the fear of getting judged get to my head.

I’ve learned that all that matters in the end is you. You shouldn’t dwell so much on other people’s opinion because what really matters is how you feel. If you take the first step, things will eventually become easier. Now, going to the gym isn’t as scary as it seemed at first. Of course, I’m still a newbie when comes to anything gym and fitness related, but I’m learning.  

giphy.com

Lead Image Credit: girlgrowingsmall.tumblr.com

Joanne Iglesias - William Paterson University