Display maxresdefault
by Joanne Iglesias

An Open Letter to My First Boyfriend

By Joanne Iglesias - Feb 13 2016
To my first (now ex) boyfriend, 

As you know, it's Valentine’s Day, and I just want to let you know that you hold an important place in my heart. You were my first boyfriend, and I'll always remember you. You were the first guy to give me butterflies from a simple text, and the first guy to hold my hand, even when I insisted that my palms were way too sweaty. You were even my first kiss. While we were dating, you meant the world to me. Call me cheesy...but you were the peanut butter to my jelly, the pop to my tart, the salt to my pepper, the straw to my berry. You were my everything; however, as you know, we both changed.

Before college started, I honestly believed that we would be together for a long time, but we couldn’t make it work. I don’t want to say that college made me a completely different person because I still feel like the same old me, but it made me realize that I couldn’t balance it all. When we both decided to go to different universities, I thought simply Face timing when we were both free would solve our distance dilemma; however, it was always difficult for us to line our schedules together perfectly. Keeping up with our grades and maintaining our social lives was another obstacle we shared. You couldn’t come up to my school and I couldn't go down to yours. We didn’t want to inhibit the other person from experiencing college and hanging out with new friends, but at the same time, we also didn’t want to drift apart, but we did. Although we didn’t say it at first, we both knew things were going south.

I guess you could say we both didn’t try hard enough to make it work, but things just sort of turned out this way. The amount of effort from both us fluctuated from time to time, and there was no helping it. We ended it, and I'd like to think it was for the better. 

Although it’s been a couple of months since we’ve broken up, I still think about you a lot. I still see pictures of you on my Facebook feed, and your number is still on my favorites list on my phone. I always wonder how you’re doing at your college and if you’re following up with the latest episodes of the TV shows we used to watch together. Sometimes, I wonder if you ever think about me. 

Even though we’re no longer in a relationship, I can’t deny the fact that you were a significant person in my life. You’ve been with my through my ups and downs, and I can't thank you enough for all the memories. I’ll cherish them for a lifetime.

Truthfully, when we first started dating, I thought we’d still be together right now, getting excited over the fact that we'd be spending Valentine's together, but sometimes, life gives us hurdles that we simply can’t jump over. We tried, and we failed. Despite everything that's happened between us, I hope you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day, and I hope you find that special gal. I’m sorry I couldn’t be her. 

Lead Image Credit: youtube.com

Joanne Iglesias - William Paterson University