Display d3d6c310 b49b 45cf 8b00 e92bfbe99324
by Jessica Vuong

The Best Places to Study on the University of California, Davis Campus

By Jessica Vuong - Oct 18 2017

Being cooped up inside your dorm room or apartment all day might not be the best way to study. Sometimes, a change of scenery really helps your mind to freshen up and retain more information. Studying in a room full of focused, like-minded students will also motivate you to do your best. With that being said, here are several study spots that you can find at UC Davis. Use this map to help you make your way around campus!

1. Peter J. Shields Library

Wikimedia Commons

This wouldn't be a list of best study spots if the library wasn't included. Yes, the library is the most obvious place for you to study, but it could also be the most efficient. Shields Library has four floors of books, cubicles, private study rooms and large desks for group studying. Take advantage of the large space and quiet atmosphere to get down to business. If Shields Library isn't your first choice or you find it too crowded, UC Davis has four other libraries you can choose from, such as the Health Sciences Library, Law Library, Physical Sciences and Engineering Library and Agricultural and Resource Economics Library

2. The CoffeeHouse (CoHo)

Jessica Vuong

The CoHo is next to the Memorial Union and is basically one giant coffeehouse that includes a food court, a coffee bar, a pizza place and more. The CoHo is usually crowded as students go there in their class gaps. You can find more seats out on the patio or on the balcony. If you're looking for a quiet study area, then the CoHo may not be the best option. However, the CoHo is a great place for study groups to meet up and work together. You can grab a bite to eat while you're studying away!

3. The Memorial Union (MU)

Jessica Vuong

The Memorial Union was renovated earlier this year and now has tons of room for students to lounge around. The first and second floor of the MU are wide open spaces filled with couches, tables and chairs for students to use. The third floor of the MU is where club meeting rooms are located. Students are free to study in these meeting rooms if there is no club meeting scheduled during that time. 

4. The Silo

Jessica Vuong

The Silo is a barn that got turned into an eatery back in 1965. The Silo was also renovated this summer and now includes Peet's Coffee, Spokes (a burger joint) and Crepe Bistro. There are two floors in the Silo, with the second floor being a full-on study area. The Silo is a great place to grab some food and study while you're waiting for your next class. If there isn't room within the Silo, there's outdoor seating on the patio and even more outdoor seating behind the building. Food trucks are usually parked around the Silo, so you have an abundance of food options while you study.

5. Student Community Center (SCC)

Jessica Vuong

The Student Community Center is near the Silo and is home to the Cross Cultural Center, Student Recruitment and Retention Center, LGBT Resource Center and Undergraduate Research Center. Besides these resources, inside you can also find the South CoHo, which serves sandwiches, wraps, coffee and desserts. There are two floors and several study rooms for students to occupy within this building. If you're in need of a computer, there are two computer labs here as well. If you're in need of a seat, you can find more seating outdoors.

6. Activities and Recreation Center (ARC)

The ARC is the place to go for working out, but it's also where you can go to concentrate on studying. When you enter into the ARC, there are some couches and study areas laid out for students to use. If you go down the hallway on your right, you'll find some more study rooms and student areas. Students can also study at the cafe located inside the ARC.

7. Arboretum

Wikimedia Commons

If you love nature and enjoy being outdoors, then the Arboretum is a peaceful place for you to study. The Arboretum is 100-acres of grass, trees, waterways and plants. Study out in the open while you enjoy the fresh air and the company of squirrels.

8. Residence Halls and Services Centers

Wikimedia Commons

For those of you who are freshmen and live in the dorms, you don't have to go far to get to the study lounge. Each residence hall has their own student lounge for hall meetings, socials, etc. In addition, each student housing area, Segundo, Tercero and Cuarto, has a services center not too far from each of the dorm buildings. For example, Segundo has the Segundo Services Center and inside you will find a computer lab with printers, a balcony with chairs and tables and an advising center. If you're a freshman then I recommend you use the resources available to you through any of the Services Centers. The Services Centers occasionally hold educational workshops and offer academic advising and tutoring. Take advantage of your freshman status and make good use of these study resources!

As college students a large part of our time is spent studying, so why not change up the scenery and study at different locations to truly experience the UC Davis campus.

Lead Image Credit: Jessica Vuong

Jessica Vuong - University of California, Davis

Jessica is currently attending UC Davis and majoring in Managerial Economics. She was vice-president of teensReach, a community service organization, and has competed in several SJPL art & design contests. She loves coffee, sarcasm, and rainy weather. Follow her on instagram: @jsscvng | pinterest: jessvjess | VSCO: jessvjess