by Jessica Vuong

10 College Students Share Their Valentine's Day Plans

By Jessica Vuong - Feb 09 2017

The meaning of Valentine's Day has changed since we were kids. No longer does it signify that day in elementary school where children pass out their handmade Valentine's cards sealed with a little heart sticker to everyone in class. Now when people hear the words "Valentine's Day," it either means a day filled with balloons, heart-shaped chocolates and time with that special person or an unnecessary reminder that you're still single and can't really mingle.

This year's Valentine's Day which happens to fall on a Tuesday, the day after everyone's favorite weekday, is one of those days people will either love or hate. With Valentine's Day overlapping midterm season, it's all the more necessary to spread the love...or the chocolate. 

Valentine's Day means something different to everyone, and each person has his or her own way of celebrating (or dealing with) it. 

There are those of us who have a Valentine

"For Valentine's Day, I am making my boyfriend a book called “Day Two Sixty One” documenting all our fun memories since the day we started getting to know each other. I'm hoping that the balloon I send along with his present doesn't deflate during its journey to him because that would be really extra. But I'll be waking up early to cram all day for my computer science midterm that'll totally wreck my grade on Valentine's Day night along with the other sad computer science students."  - Thu N., University of California, Berkeley

"On a typical Valentine’s Day, I usually travel to see my significant other and family. However, this Valentine’s Day falls on a Tuesday, between two midterms. My plans are unfortunately simple and routine. I wake up for my scheduled classes, arrive back to my apartment and study for a couple hours. I would probably make a quick market stop and give into the temptations of all the chocolates and pastries. While in my apartment, I will patiently wait for my boyfriend to get out of work/school and spend the rest of the night talking to him about our day as usual. Very fun, fulfilled day."  - Nicole C., University of California, Davis

"My girlfriend and I have been dating for over three years now, so we’ve spent quite a few Valentine’s Days together. Our first Valentine's Day together, we kept it simple by just exchanging gifts and hanging out after school. Leading up to now, we’re so comfortable with each other that it’s okay to not celebrate this special day sometimes, especially if we’re both really busy, which we are, as typical college students—we both have midterms that day, but we’ll still make time for each other afterwards."  - Jason G., San Jose State University

Those of us who turn Valentine's Day into Galentine's Day

"I have plans to watch Fifty Shades Darker on Valentine’s Day with my roommates, not only to watch Christian and Anastasia rekindle their romance on the most romantic day of the year, but also because Valentine’s Day happens to fall on a Tuesday this year and that’s when our local theatres give student discounts, and as college students, we fall prey to any sort of discount. It’s also a good opportunity to spend time with my roommates outside of our hectic schedules, and isn’t the very point of Valentine’s Day to spend time with your loved ones?"  - Emily L., University of California, Davis

"Valentine’s Day is not exactly my favorite holiday nor is it a day in which I really do anything. When I think of Valentine’s Day, I think of loved-up couples, heart balloons, and romantic dinners for two. I usually don’t plan on doing anything for that day, but I might want to go out and have dinner or watch a movie with some of my friends. Otherwise, I can chill with my housemates and watch a very romantic Korean drama while we sip wine and gush over the actors. All in all, I plan on a very relaxing Valentine’s Day."  - Stephany B., University of California, Davis

"I’m not a huge fan of Valentine’s Day, but I won’t pass up an excuse to play love songs. As DJs for UC Davis’ independent radio station, KDVS, my co-host, Nicole, and I have a weekly show where we play the music we’ve been listening to lately. This year, she’s my date for Valentine’s Day. Our Valentine’s Day playlist includes “(All Afternoon) In Love” by The Vaccines, “True Love Will Find You In the End” by The Memories, and “Prototype” by Outkast. Listen to our show, Tuesday Morning Kinda Pink, from 10:30am to 12pm at kdvs.org or on 90.3 FM!"  - Jessica K., University of California, Davis

Those of us who are in it for the chocolate

"I plan to go to Target the day before Valentine’s Day and see how much Valentine’s candy costs. Then on Feb. 15, I will go back to Target, and buy all the candy that is now on clearance and see how much money I saved. I will send whatever is left of the candy to my girlfriend (who goes to a different university) on the following Saturday."  - Luis L., University of California, Irvine

"On this Valentine's Day, I plan to stay home. Probably try and not procrastinate on homework, like a good college student. Not only do I not have anything interesting planned, but I believe that Valentine's Day is still relevant today to boost the economy. Buying flowers, chocolate, balloons; going out to eat dinner; watching movies in theaters, are the plans of most people on that day. Besides that, I think it's still somewhat a good holiday because once it's over, discount chocolates are always the best. And that's what I plan to indulge myself in."  - Joyce C., Foothill College

Those of us who will be spending a romantic evening with their textbooks

"I pretty much know exactly how my Valentine’s Day will go. In my first class of the day, I’ll see my ex-boyfriend who I got together with last Valentine’s Day. We already have an unofficial agreement to ignore each other, so it shouldn’t be too awkward. Then I’m going to register for my classes and take my midterm. After that I’ll study for my other midterm for the upcoming Friday. This year isn’t going to be that fun because of all of these midterms, but I’m fine with that. I’m just excited about all of the chocolate that’s going to be on sale the day after." - Anonymous, University of California, Davis

"This year, I plan to spend Valentine’s Day catching up on all the reading assignments that I have procrastinated on. Instead of doing something fun or hanging out with friends that day, I hope to study well for my upcoming exams. For entertainment, I plan to watch and rewatch my friends’ snapchat stories to see how people spend this special day with their loved ones. For me, as the years go by, the significance of Valentine’s Day declines, as I remember just how much I valued this day when I was in elementary school. As a result, I do not feel bad  for having to spend the day studying."  - Eileen L., University of California, Davis

No matter how you choose to spend your Valentine's Day, there's going to be one thing that's certain—there will be chocolate. 

Jessica Vuong - University of California, Davis

Jessica is currently attending UC Davis and majoring in Managerial Economics. She was vice-president of teensReach, a community service organization, and has competed in several SJPL art & design contests. She loves coffee, sarcasm, and rainy weather. Follow her on instagram: @jsscvng | pinterest: jessvjess | VSCO: jessvjess