Display priscilla du preez 234144
by Jessica Vuong

How to Reset Your Life

By Jessica Vuong - Feb 19 2018

Although January, the month of New Year's resolutions, felt like it lasted ten years, suddenly, we find ourselves well into the month of February. Where has the time gone? Where have our New Year's resolutions gone? If you're like the majority of us who make New Year's resolutions, chances are that you have broken some or all of them by now. There's no shame in this though, since statistics show that 42.4% of people fail at keeping their resolutions every year.

But don't worry too much – we are still in the beginning of 2018; the year is still young and there are plenty of ways you can maneuver yourself back on track. One way is to reset your life. Resets are useful when things seem cluttered, messy or if you're simply stuck in a rut. Even your computer has to restart itself once in a while; so should you!

1. Make lists (for everything).

If you ever feel stressed or think that you lack control of your life, set aside some time to make lists of all the things stressing you out. Making lists takes all of those noisy, floating ideas from your head and cements them onto a physical paper form for you to look at. Having everything down on paper makes it easier on your mind because now you don't have to remember what you need to remember! Organizing your thoughts into lists allows you to prioritize important tasks as well as get an overview of what you need to accomplish. Also, it's a triumphant feeling when you can check completed items off your list one by one! Your lists don't have to be limited to things you have to do. Make lists for your groceries, your goals, upcoming deadlines, random ideas, etc. The list of lists goes on and on!

2. Meditate.

Another way to mentally reset your life is to mediate, which clears up space inside your head for new ideas to form. Meditation has been proven to lower anxiety, help stress, enhance self-awareness, lengthen attention span and more. Meditation doesn't mean you have to be sitting in silence. There are plenty of apps and books out there that can help guide your meditation. If you're new to it, try out some popular meditation apps like Headspace or Calm. These apps consist of you closing your eyes, breathing and listening to someone guide you through the process.

3. Create a savings plan.

After the holidays, New Year's and now Valentine's Day, it's very likely that your bank account balances have taken a dip. As college students, our finances are a huge part of our lives and should be taken into account when we're trying to reset our lives. Sit down with the courage to look at your bank account balance and create a savings plan around it. Consider how much you're earning, track how much you spend on miscellaneous things, have a financial goal in mind and plan out small checkpoints to get to your desired balance. You can create a savings plan with a pen and paper or go digital by creating an Excel spreadsheet like this or this.

4. Re-examine your relationships.

You can't reset your life if you're keeping the same toxic people around. If you find that some friendships or relationships aren't worth holding on to any more, then it may be time to let them go. Of course this is easier said than done, since it's difficult to let go of relationships that once meant a lot to you, but at the end of the day, it's your life and you should choose who gets to be a part of it.

5. Clean and declutter your space.

When you desperately need to start homework or study for an exam, do you find yourself cleaning up your desk and your room in order to avoid studying? The psychology behind this is that we feel as though we need a clean and cleared space in order to focus on the task at hand. The physical space that you're in has implications on your mental health. Living in a messy, cramped room gives us anxiety and stress. A decluttered, clean room will not only feel spacious, but will allow room for new things to come along.

Try out the KonMari method of cleaning, where you only keep things of value to you (things that spark joy) and throw away all else. Benefits of decluttering include better sleep quality, higher productivity levels and more creativity. Clear up space in your life for new and better things to come in!

6. Declutter digitally.

Decluttering our living spaces is important because they are the physical spaces around us. However, we spend a huge portion of our time online in the digital world, so it only makes sense to declutter digitally as well. You can do this by going through your phone, tablet or computer and deleting old files, photos, apps, etc. While you're at it, organize photos and documents into files, and then back up your files so that you never have to worry about losing them. Not only will this feel great and you'll be able to find stuff easier in the future, but you'll also have a ton of freed-up space on your devices. It's a win-win situation! If you're not sure where to start, here are some ways you can declutter your digital life.

7. Hold yourself accountable.

This last tip loops back to the first one about making lists and checking off completed items. You can't truly reset your life if you fall back into old habits. It may take some time to adjust and fully get into the groove of a new lifestyle based on the changes you want to make, but you can do it if you stick to it. At the end of the day, you're in charge of yourself and have to hold yourself accountable to the goals you've set for yourself. 

With that said, go ahead and press the reset button on your life! Happy decluttering – emotionally, mentally, physically and digitally!

Lead Image Credit: Priscilla Du Preez via Unsplash

Jessica Vuong - University of California, Davis

Jessica is currently attending UC Davis and majoring in Managerial Economics. She was vice-president of teensReach, a community service organization, and has competed in several SJPL art & design contests. She loves coffee, sarcasm, and rainy weather. Follow her on instagram: @jsscvng | pinterest: jessvjess | VSCO: jessvjess