by Jessica Vuong

9 Coffee Gadgets and How To Use Them

By Jessica Vuong - Mar 25 2017

To all the coffee addicts out there, raise your coffee mugs! Coffee and college go hand in hand. Whether it's an 8 a.m. class we have to power through or a 10-page essay we have to stay up to write, coffee's got our backs. While stopping by a local cafe and ordering your signature latte every day can be a fun daily routine, making your own coffee at home will save you time and money — who doesn't want both of these things in college? Bring out your inner barista skills with these cool coffee gadgets. 

1. Primula Coffee Brew Buddy ($7.25)

Amazon

If you're someone who likes to drink freshly brewed coffee without the hassle of cleaning up a coffee machine, then this gadget will be your new "buddy." Its simplistic, yet innovative, design allows you to brew a fresh cup of coffee of any strength directly into your mug. Simply pour your hot water into the filter, let it brew to your desired strength and start your day off right!

2. Norpro Coffee Grinder ($19.40)

Amazon

You can't be on the grind without grinding yourself a nice cup of coffee to kickstart your morning. This grinder isn't your basic electric grinder because now you can experience the joy of manually grinding your own beans. This tool has a classic, old-style charm to it and will make your kitchen counter top look extra fancy. 

3. Presto MyJo Coffee Maker ($13.59)

Amazon

This little gem lets you enjoy K-Cups without the cost of buying a Keurig machine. To use, attach your K-Cup to the base (or fill the base with your own coffee grounds), add hot water to the reservoir and press the pump to pump coffee into your mug to get yourself pumped up for the day.

4. Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker ($29.95)

Amazon

The Aeropress, built in a similar fashion as the Presto Coffee Maker, will give you smooth and rich coffee in less than a minute so that you can grab a cup and be on the go. This gadget uses optimal water temperature and gentle air pressure to brew coffee that's free of acidity and bitterness, because who wants to start off their morning bitter? To use, attach a microfilter into the cap at the bottom, add your coffee grinds and hot water into the chamber, rest the chamber on top of a mug, give the grind and water mixture a stir, insert the plunger to the top of the chamber and proceed to gently pressing. Pressing time only takes about 20-30 seconds!

5. Ovalware Airtight Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker and Tea Infuser ($33.99)

Amazon

Are you more of a coffee person or a tea person? If you love both coffee and tea and can't decide which method of caffeine intake you want, then this gadget is perfect for you. This glass carafe functions as a cold brew coffee maker and as a tea infuser so you can have the best of both worlds. The cold brew method of making coffee reduces coffee acidity and produces a smoother taste. To make coffee, pour your coffee grinds into the metal filter, slowly pour room temperature water into the carafe, stir the grounds inside the filter and place it inside your fridge. Then it's time to play the waiting game for 12-18 hours while the coffee brews, so I recommend you prepare this the night before. This cold coffee concoction will actually last for 2 weeks in the fridge, since the carafe is airtight! To make tea, the same steps apply, except the brewing time will only take 6-12 hours depending on your strength preference. 

6. Nessential Coffee French Press ($18.99)

Amazon

If you're the proud owner of a French press, then you'll never have to buy coffee filters again! This French press has extra and ultra-fine metal coffee filters built into its design so your coffee will be less acidic and smoother in every way. All you need is hot water and your choice of coffee grounds. Simply pour in the grounds and fill the press with hot water halfway, let it sit for 30 seconds, give it a stir, pour the rest of the hot water inside and just press!

7. Handheld Milk and Coffee Frother ($12.95)

Amazon

Coffee making is an art so if you want your morning coffee to look and taste a little fancier, this handheld frother will let you add creamy foam to your coffee. It is sleek, convenient and works with hot or cold drinks!

8. Zoku Iced Coffee Maker ($29.99)

Amazon

Have you ever decided at the last minute that you want iced coffee instead of hot coffee? Or have you been so excited to start your day that you just couldn't wait for your steaming coffee to cool down? This travel mug solves both those problems and saves your time. Leave this travel mug in your freezer overnight, fill it up with hot coffee in the morning and in just five minutes, you can enjoy an icy cold drink. No ice needed! Plus, this mug comes in an assortment of colors!

9. MiniPresso GR Espresso Maker ($59.95)

Amazon

This last product is on the pricier side, but would make an excellent gift for any coffee lover. The MiniPresso is a portable expresso maker that is the size of a water bottle. All you need to do is fill the compartments with hot water and coffee grounds and then press the hand pump until no more coffee comes out. You don't even need a coffee mug because the lid functions as a cup! With the MiniPresso being so portable, you can get your coffee fix whether you're camping out in the woods or falling asleep in a lecture hall. 

Now with these cool gadgets, you can be your own barista and make yourself coffee during any time of the day anywhere you are.

Lead Image Credit: Erol Ahmed via Unsplash 

Jessica Vuong - University of California, Davis

Jessica is currently attending UC Davis and majoring in Managerial Economics. She was vice-president of teensReach, a community service organization, and has competed in several SJPL art & design contests. She loves coffee, sarcasm, and rainy weather. Follow her on instagram: @jsscvng | pinterest: jessvjess | VSCO: jessvjess