Display 533
by Jessica Vuong

8 On-Campus Resources That Will Make Your Life Easier

By Jessica Vuong - Sep 17 2016

If you’re paying money to eat out at a buffet, you’re going to want to get the most out of your money. The same goes for college. You aren’t paying around 30 to 50 grand a year just to attend lectures and discussions, then go back into your room and do homework all night. Think of it this way — you’re paying for your entire time there: the social life, the services, the overall experience. This is why you should take advantage of all the resources that your college is offering you.

1. The Gym

Stress is inevitable as a college student. Use your college’s gym or recreational center to work out, clear your mind and stay healthy so you can take on those exams. At the same time, you'll be preventing the dreaded freshman fifteen.

2. Mental Health Office

It’s natural to feel stressed, anxious and overwhelmed during college. This is why colleges offer mental health assistance for you to relax and control your emotions. Yes, it is important to study for exams, but it is also necessary to take time to recharge yourself.

3. Advising Centers

You don't have to feel like you are battling college on your own. Whenever you feel like you need some academic help or guidance, set up an appointment with your major advisor to plan out a class schedule or talk through your career options to keep you on the right track.

4. Office Hours

If you are having trouble in a subject, get some help. This is why professors have office hours and why the school has tutoring centers. These facilities are there to help you reach your full potential. You are paying tuition to learn something and succeed, so take advantage of these services.

5. Academic Support Centers

If going to office hours is too crowded or stressful, another option is your college's tutoring center. Most colleges have academic centers dedicated to certain subjects, mainly math, writing and science. In these centers, you will most likely be working with upperclassman tutors or with other students your age. This is a great way to get your questions answered by your fellow peers while meeting new people and potentially forming study groups.

6. Diversity Office

A huge part of going to college is immediately feeling culture shock. You're in a new place, full of new people and surroundings, and your brain is trying to process it all. You might feel alone or uneasy being around so many new faces, so I suggest talking to someone in your school's diversity office. 

7. Clubs and Sports

Joining clubs and/or sports is an excellent way to put yourself out there and find other people who share the same interests and passions as you.

8. Your Peers

Now this resource isn't held inside a building or an office, but it can be one of the most helpful. The students around you are the people you will be spending about four years of your life with, and you may potentially call them your co-workers. You can always look for guidance from a friend, roommate or study group.

It's easy to feel alone in college since it's a dauntingly huge change from high school. Just keep in mind that there are so many things around you to utilize. I hope you all are having a great start to your school year!

Lead Image Credit: Sidharth Bhatia via Unsplash

Jessica Vuong - University of California, Davis

Jessica is currently attending UC Davis and majoring in Managerial Economics. She was vice-president of teensReach, a community service organization, and has competed in several SJPL art & design contests. She loves coffee, sarcasm, and rainy weather. Follow her on instagram: @jsscvng | pinterest: jessvjess | VSCO: jessvjess