Display unsplash david mao
by Jessica Vuong

5 Productive Things to Do Over Winter Break

By Jessica Vuong - Dec 20 2016

After drilling your head, cramming information into your brain and incessantly stressing out over final exams, you’re probably ready to slip into some fuzzy socks, throw on a blanket, log into your Netflix account and adhere to the couch.

While relaxing and recharging is an absolute necessity, especially after exams, if you lay around being lazy all day, you’ll end up feeling sluggish. Chances are, after one or two weeks of vegging out on the couch, your body will be craving to do some type of activity. Doing something productive during winter break doesn’t mean you have to trade in your fun. Simply take a break from Netflix, grab some coffee or hot cocoa, sit up straight and comb through this list of suggestions.

1. Research Internships and Companies

For us college students, we are constantly being told just how invaluable internships and work experience are. These opportunities allow us to get our foot through the door and see what our pursued industry is like. Connections that you build at your internships or jobs can also link you to future opportunities in line with your career choice. Use your winter break as a chance to research potential companies you would like to work for and internships you would like to apply for. Not only will this give you an idea about the industry you plan to work in, but it will ease your stress once school starts because you will be ahead of the game.

2. Polish Your Resume and Cover Letter

What’s the point of researching internships and potential employers if you have nothing to show them? Your resume is a written representation of your skills and experiences. Your cover letter is there to reflect a bit more of your personality as well as reinforce why you are a good fit for the company or internship to which you are applying.

3. Work Out

After the holidays, the gym gets cramped full of people who have made it their New Year’s resolution to get fit. Why wait until New Years to fulfill your resolution of getting in shape? After all, summer bodies are built in the winter. Working out at your local or home gym will build up your work out habits as you head towards your holiday feasts. This way, you won’t have to suddenly start exercising out of the blue once the clock strikes midnight on January 1st.

4. Learn to Cook

If you already know how to cook, kudos to you. But for those of us who rely on frozen meals, eating out and snacks, using winter break to learn a few staple recipes might not be such a bad idea. Since getting in shape goes hand in hand with eating healthier, coming up with some healthy recipes to prepare once you head back to your college dorm or apartment will leave you feeling great. 

5. Have Fun

What’s a productive winter break without having fun with family and friends? Yes, being productive is important in getting you closer to your goals but so is living in the moment and having fun. So once in a while, in between your 11 different tabs of internships that you’re researching, take a break, step outside and go have some fun with your loved ones. ’Tis the season to be jolly, after all. 

Happy holidays and may all your winter wishes come true!

Lead Image Credit: David Mao via Unsplash

Jessica Vuong - University of California, Davis

Jessica is currently attending UC Davis and majoring in Managerial Economics. She was vice-president of teensReach, a community service organization, and has competed in several SJPL art & design contests. She loves coffee, sarcasm, and rainy weather. Follow her on instagram: @jsscvng | pinterest: jessvjess | VSCO: jessvjess