by Jessica Vuong

10 Signs That You're an Introvert

By Jessica Vuong - Mar 10 2017

In our modern society where assertive, outgoing, energetic people are the desired personality norms, introverts often fall prey to the popular belief that they are merely quiet, boring and want to be alone. Being an introvert isn't easy. It can be difficult for us to speak up about an opinion or explain to people why we want to leave a social gathering. There's more to introverts than simply being more reserved than the average person, and here is a list of those unique qualities.

1. You like to skip the small talk.

In a world of business, technology and innovation, small talk is a necessary evil. While small talk is a nice way to introduce yourself to new people, find out what your coworkers did over the weekend or meet potential employers, introverts find small talk to be meaningless and empty. They like to focus on building authentic relationships with people, so they would much rather skip to a more meaningful conversation that fuels their energy.

2. You notice little details.

Because introverts have different brain processes than extroverts, they tend to have this neat superpower where they have a sharper eye than the average person. They are highly sensitive to their surroundings and can be overwhelmed if overstimulated. As a "side effect" of this high sensitivity, introverts tend to notice things that others might overlook. 

3. You need time to wind down and recuperate after socializing.

Yes, introverts do socialize with people, just less often than extroverts do. Think about the battery in your phone — after a long period of being active, that battery needs to recharge. Because introverts become easily drained in active surroundings, they enjoy and appreciate their down time, whether it be spent reading a book, watching TV or simply doing nothing. They find this personal time to be healing and fulfilling. Once introverts have replenished their energy levels, they're ready to step back out into the world and *not* make small talk. 

4. You have friends who are extroverts.

It's true that opposites attract. Introverts are drawn to extroverts due to their outgoing and exciting personality, and it gives introverts a nice balance between relaxation and excitement. Introverts and extroverts complement each other well, each reminding the other that it is important to go out and have fun while also setting aside time to pamper oneself. 

5. You prefer texting rather than talking on the phone.

A phone call out of the blue is like rain on an introvert's parade. Introverts need time to mentally prepare before having a conversation so picking up a sudden phone call isn't at the top of an introvert's list of fun things to do. They prefer to text rather than to talk because texting allows them to write out their thoughts clearly and process them before sending them out. 

6. You like people watching. 

While introverts might not actively engage with a lot of people, they still need a means of social interaction so they gravitate towards observation. Introverts are naturally curious people and find people watching to be an entertaining activity. While doing this, introverts tend to reflect on the actions they see others partake in as well as their own actions. 

7. You enjoy writing.

Writing is something personal that individuals like to do alone. This is why introverts enjoy it. Being naturally reserved, introverts like to write out their thoughts rather than convey them verbally. In this way, it gives them a chance to reflect and see their thoughts and ideas in a tangible form. Not to mention, writing can be extremely therapeutic and fun!

8. You're a great listener.

Introverts listen, reflect and think before they act or speak. Along with being observant and craving meaningful conversations with people, its no wonder that introverts are excellent listeners. Since introverts also like to reflect on their thoughts before sending them out into the universe, you can bet that the advice they give is golden.

9. You don't like group projects.

We've all had our fair share of bad groups for group projects. The words, "group project," isn't enticing to the majority of us, but the sound of it is extra unappealing to the ears of introverts. Introverts are self-sufficient people and they get their energy from within themselves, rather than from their peers. 

10. You don't feel the need to share everything with everyone.

Introverts are innately self-aware and understand that not everything has to be put out there. Because introverts thrive off of the energy within themselves, they are preoccupied with their own thoughts and are complacent keeping some of those thoughts brewing inside their minds. 

At the end of the day, whether you're an introvert, extrovert or ambivert, remember that balance is key. So take some time to go out with friends but also set aside time to do your own thing.

Lead Image Credit: Aidan Meyer via Unsplash 

Jessica Vuong - University of California, Davis

Jessica is currently attending UC Davis and majoring in Managerial Economics. She was vice-president of teensReach, a community service organization, and has competed in several SJPL art & design contests. She loves coffee, sarcasm, and rainy weather. Follow her on instagram: @jsscvng | pinterest: jessvjess | VSCO: jessvjess