Display unnamed
by Jessica Vuong

10 Restaurants to Check Out at University of California, Davis

By Jessica Vuong - May 21 2017

The food places around UC Davis aren't like any other. There are an abundance of family-owned and locally-owned restaurants that you can't find outside of Davis. Not to mention, Downtown Davis has cuisine ranging from Mediterranean to Indian to American and more, so you can basically find any food that satisfies your cravings. From bubble milk tea to fish 'n chips, let's go through all the popular food and drink places that one should definitely check out when hanging out at UC Davis!

1. Blaze Pizza

Jessica Vuong

Pricing: $ 

Let's start off with everyone's favorite food: pizza. If you're picky about your pizza toppings or you love to build your own pizza with unlimited toppings, then Blaze Pizza is the place to go. You choose your toppings, your pizza is fired up in the oven for 180 seconds and then you've got crisp perfection. With gluten free and vegan options, as well as endless choices for toppings, Blaze Pizza is definitely a place to stop by and try if you're in Davis. Just be careful about going there during their busy dinner hours, which is when the line can extend out the door!

2. The Dumpling House 

Jessica Vuong

Pricing: $

The cool thing about The Dumpling House is that it's a Chinese restaurant where the owners also sell British Fish 'n Chips. What makes The Dumpling House so different is that each dumpling is individually handmade. Yes, each and every single one! In fact, the owner actually sits at a table by the window and you can watch her handmaking the dumplings one by one. That's how you know each dumpling was made with love and care. The Dumpling House sells a variety of dumplings, along with appetizers, potstickers and lunch specials. Located inside a bright orange plaza, you definitely won't miss it when you're strolling around Downtown Davis. 

3. Burgers & Brew

Emily Luc

Pricing: $$

If there's a place that is constantly crowded downtown, Burgers & Brew would be the place. With outdoor seating surrounded by an abundance string lights, this restaurant is known for its variety of burgers and their brew. If you like large portion sizes (and Happy Hour), then stop by Burgers & Brew to get your burger fix. 

4. Crepeville

Jessica Vuong

Pricing: $$

Crepeville is the perfect place for brunching on a weekend and for Instagram food pics. You can choose from a variety of sweet or savory crepes or you can even build your own. If crepes aren't your thing, you can also choose from their pastas, sandwiches and omelettes. Each crepe comes with a side of potatoes or a salad. Crepeville is also located across the street from the Farmer's Market, so you can brunch and then go shopping.

5. Sam's Mediterranean Cuisine

Jessica Vuong

Pricing: $

I first heard of this place because people kept raving about how good it was, and they were absolutely right. Sam's is a family-owned Mediterranean restaurant that is extremely friendly with a decorative interior. The great thing about Sam's is that the food doesn't only taste extremely flavorful, but it's healthy too! Everyone falls for the shawarmas, which are always fully loaded, so there's no skimping on the fillings. To sum up, Sam's is small (so lines form pretty quickly), tasty, close to campus and very worth the price. 

6. Yakitori Yuchan

Jessica Vuong

Pricing: $$

This dimly-lit place is more on the expensive, fancier end and is ideal for dinner dates or birthday celebrations. Everything in this place is aesthetically pleasing from the Japanese wall art to the tabletop decor. Yakitori Yuchan is known for their numerous types of grilled skewers, Japanese street foods, ramen and their very popular Omu-Soba (pictured above). This place is the spot to go to for some late night food and drinks with friends. 

7. Sunrise Restaurant

Jessica Vuong

Pricing: $

Located in a bright yellow building downtown, Sunrise Restaurant is a family owned restaurant that sells authentic Vietnamese (and some Chinese) food with prices that won't break your college student bank account. Their menu offers pho, rice combo dishes, appetizers and a long list of Asian drinks. If you're a coffee lover, then you must try their strong but sweet Vietnamese iced coffee, which is one of their most popular items. Not to mention, the owners are super friendly and accommodating so you'll feel right at home. 

8. Sweet and Shavery

Jessica Vuong

Pricing: $

Moving onto desserts, I can't talk about popular food places in Davis without mentioning Sweet and Shavery! This cute little ice cream, shave ice and crepe shop is located in Downtown Davis and is known for their extremely creamy and sweet frozen custard, which can be accompanied by their assortment of Italian shaved ice flavors. 

9. Milk Tea Hot Spots

Jessica Vuong

Pricing: $

If you're planning on attending UC Davis, get ready to see milk tea shops everywhere you go. In this school year, two milk tea shops have opened up downtown and one has been renovated. Since UC Davis students are serious about their milk tea fix, here are a few of milk tea joints worth checking out.

Sharetea is right at the edge of campus so it is extremely accessible for whenever you're in need of that afternoon milk tea fix. Tea One and T4 are newly opened milk tea places and are located in Downtown Davis. These places are great to go to when you want to relax, sip milk tea, play some board games and munch on snacks. Lazi Cow is located further downtown and also serves snacks, lunch specials, alcoholic boba and their famous brick toast which consists of a tower of sweetly seasoned bread along with ice cream scoops and syrup.

The Old Teahouse and Sno-Crave are located to the north of campus, at the University Mall. The Old Teahouse has been recently renovated and gives off the type of ambience that its name holds — it has a cozy, old teahouse vibe. As for Sno-Crave, you can find milk tea here as a well as a bunch of different desserts like crepes and huge portions of shaved ice covered in your choice of toppings.

MandRo Teahouse is located a little further from campus, in a West Davis plaza. The milk tea here is very nicely priced and they are known for their bingsoo (pictured above), which is a Korean shaved ice dessert covered in your choice of toppings and comes with a side of sweetened condensed milk. 

10. Popular Coffee Shops

Jessica Vuong

Pricing: $

If you're the kind of person who likes to hang out with your books inside cafes all day long while sipping coffee, then here are a few options on where you can do just that.

Temple Coffee Roasters and Mishka's Cafe are the two most popular places to study at. Go to Temple if you want to be surrounded by a minimalist vibe, the sound of dripping coffee, aesthetically pleasing furniture and fancy coffee gadgets. As for Mishka's, when you walk in, you'll experience a cozy, relaxed atmosphere. As a bonus, both places are excellent for taking aesthetic Instagram pics of your coffee! Cloud Forest Cafe is another place that is made for sipping coffee and doing schoolwork, but they are more known for their paninis than their coffee. I highly recommend you try their warm, toasted, crunchy paninis, which come with a side of either potato salad or carrot sticks.

Now whenever you're visiting UC Davis or if you're planning to attend UC Davis, you know all the popular food spots to check out!

Lead Image Credit: Jessica Vuong

Jessica Vuong - University of California, Davis

Jessica is currently attending UC Davis and majoring in Managerial Economics. She was vice-president of teensReach, a community service organization, and has competed in several SJPL art & design contests. She loves coffee, sarcasm, and rainy weather. Follow her on instagram: @jsscvng | pinterest: jessvjess | VSCO: jessvjess