Display graduation
by Jessalyn Miller

14 Things I Won't Miss From My High School

By Jessalyn Miller - Jul 20 2017

For some people, high school was a momentous time to treasure forever. For others, like myself, high school sucked. Here are 14 things I won't miss from my high school.

1. "Popular" People

At my school, if you were in a sport, you were popular. These people walked over others and used their parents' money to have their way whenever issues arose. They were able to be in honors courses when, in reality, most of them should not have been. Granted, there were a few nice ones, but at the end of the day, they got walked over by the others as well.

2. Drama

Oh boy, the drama. And I'm not referring to drama club. "So-and-so is dating so-and-so, and blah-blah is stealing so-and-so's boyfriend." You get the point. For people who weren't involved, this was practically a Lifetime movie worth watching. Even though it was entertaining, I had really wished my fellow classmates would grow up and actually start acting their age — not like they were 12.

3. Stress

There were nights where I was up until almost 1 a.m. trying to finish math homework. It was my hardest class at the time, and the teacher was dead set on teaching a freshman class like a college class. With a test practically every week and quizzes twice a week, this perfectionist and straight-A student spent many nights crying because of the ball of anxiety and stress in her stomach. This is one thing that I am so glad to put behind me. I know college is going to be stressful, but being salutatorian won't be at the top of my to-do list.

4. Stairs

Even though my high school was in a small town, they had just built this huge high school that could probably hold double of the student population of roughly 500. With this huge building came five staircases and three flights of stairs. Going from a first-floor class on one end of the building to a third-floor class on the opposite side took practically all the time we had to get between classes.

5. Bad Teachers

Freshman year, we had this very creepy civics teacher. Let's just say that if you were a female in his class, you had to cover up or else certain parts of your body would be ogled. Needless to say, he is no longer there. Not only that, but we also had teachers who had NO IDEA what they were teaching. Senior year, my school started teaching physics. The teacher had never taken a physics class in his life and had no idea how to teach the subject or what was included. It got to the point that we just relaxed in class and watched YouTube because we had no idea what we were doing. Furthermore, in some classes, we had to teach ourselves. In chemistry junior year, everyone cheated off my friends and I because we were the only ones who were actually going home and learning chemistry from YouTube. Luckily, only one person failed.

6. Bad "Food"

Cafeteria food = fake. There are no other words to describe it.

7. Too Much Money

If you were an athlete, there were about a thousand dollars in dues per year. If you throw in prom, junior dues, senior dues, club dues, a graduation ring and dual enrollment classes, you were looking at thousands of dollars on just graduating and actually participating in coming-of-age high school traditions.

8. Not Enough Opportunities

Coming from a small town, we had roughly four AP classes, no IB classes and could only dual enroll in three classes per semester junior and senior year. Not only that, but the only job opportunities worthwhile were 20-30 minutes away in larger towns with more restaurants and stores. How was one to fully succeed and go further in life with such few options and future opportunities?

9. Small Town Life

As I mentioned before, I'm from a small town high school. All we had were a Piggly Wiggly, a Dollar General, Subway, a bland Mexican restaurant and a Hardees. With only one red light in the entire county right in the heart of town that every high school student was forced to go through to leave the high school, traffic got bad very quickly. It also cleared out very quickly once buses cleared through the other side of town.

10. Closed-Minded People

A signature trait of a small town is often intolerant people. A lot of people were closed-minded and only cared about their trucks, tractors, tobacco, beer and FFA. At the end of the day, all they really cared about were archaic ideas.

11. Band Camp

For fellow music nerds, band camp was a joyous and a difficult time. From running laps in 105-degree weather in a parking lot nicknamed the "frying pan" to actually performing on the field in our uniforms three weeks later, every drop of blood, sweat and tears was painfully worth it. However, I will not miss the second-degree burns I got from the blistering sun or the drama associated with being in color guard. Who would?

12. People Who Shouldn't Be in Honors Classes But Are

You know that group of people who cheat off of others and blame others for their failures in life? Yeah, I'm talking about those. They have cheated, blamed and lied their way through to classes they have no business being in just so they can say they are honors students. All it did was hold back others who truly belonged in those classes and even had teachers get fired.

13. Dress Code

No showing shoulders, no holes in jeans, dresses must at least hit a dollar length above the knee, no yoga pants, no sweatpants, etc., is a very old-fashioned set of rules. I understand that a dress code is in place so that people don't show up to school in a bikini, and to teach students how dress codes are in the real world, but when a woman can wear a tank top and yoga pants at work and not in school is when I have a problem with school dress codes. How can a business be more lenient in dress codes than a school? If we aren't getting paid to be there and are required by law to attend, don't you think we should be able to wear comfortable clothing, much like certain workplaces?

14. Early Hours

I don't know about you, but I am a night owl, not a morning person. Getting up at 6 a.m. just to be at school by 7:45 a.m. for classes is ridiculous. I'm glad those days are finally behind me and that I will be able to finally sleep in before college classes start.

Even though high school sucked, there were good times and good people that I will miss dearly. This includes my favorite teachers, my friends, Subway Fridays, concert band, our study table and most of all: Being a Heard County Brave.

Lead Image Credit: Jessalyn Miller

Jessalyn Miller - University of Alabama

I'm a current freshman at the University of Alabama with a double major in music and music education. I have 1 dog and 2 cats. Books, Netflix, and sleeping fill my free time.