Display rm 739x web
by Jeremy Salley

Crossing The Mason-Dixon Line for College

By Jeremy Salley - Jul 17 2015

I'm southern according to the Mason-Dixon Line. There's no way to get around that. I was born in Midtown Atlanta and have lived on the east side of the city for a majority of my life. I'm used to football in the fall, Waffle House after every event and Chik-fil-A and Zaxby's being a part of my diet. This is all going to change come August as I'm leaving my native state of Georgia and crossing that imaginary line to Connecticut. And I'm not sure how to feel about it.

It's a different environment. Even though I somewhat signed up for it (thanks to a good scholarship), it feels like a world away from where I grew up. I don't have to drive often anymore, I don't get to hear the Atlanta lingo until I come back. I have to look forward to the unbearable snow that will approach. Keep in mind metro Atlanta shuts down when an inch of snows appears and I'm looking at two to four feet daily while on the water.

A lot of my former high school classmates who are going north with me are asking the same question: what is it like on the other side of the line? Sure, I've been to most of the major cities up north to visit, but to live and endure the lifestyle there will be a new challenge. We're prepared, but at the same time, we aren't. I can stay in a suffocating humid 98 degrees like its nothing, yet panic when I see a snowflake touch the ground outside. It's something that we have to adjust to. Maybe it's for the better or maybe I'll cry back home after a semester, who knows.

My point is that we look at how much our college years will change us, we sometimes overlook how the region we move to will probably have an even greater impact on our lives than just our college. All I know is that we have to be ready no matter what happens and cross that Mason-Dixon Line into something new.

Lead Image Credit: The Maryland Historical Trust 

Jeremy Salley - University of Southern California

Jeremy Salley is a Sophomore at the University of Southern California. He is from Atlanta, GA and is majoring in International Relations. He is 6'6" and enjoys traveling. Follow him on Twitter @Embrace_Me_Now or on Instagram @Jsalley21. #FreshUAlum