Display gbrc bridgeport ct
by Jeremy Salley

It's not you, It's me: 5 reasons why I am considering transferring from my university

By Jeremy Salley - Oct 24 2015

"It's not you, it's me." I have only been told this phrase 3 times before in my life, each of which hurt, but ultimately made me a better person afterwards. The first time at 13 by my parents for their divorce. Second time by my 10th grade girlfriend. Finally, by my dream school's financial aid office. However, what I learned is that sometimes it is actually you, not me.  This leads me to 5 reasons why I have to say to my current school, "It's not you, It's me." These are the 5 reasons why I am currently contemplating transferring schools.

Disclaimer: This is not a rant on my current school. I am proud to say I am a student here and will always recommend it to others. I do wish the best and I believe it's a great school for people. Like all aspects of life, what might work successfully for one person, might not for another.

1. The location

Coming from Atlanta, I thought being in Connecticut would be a little bit different. .The school advertised being about an hour away from New York City. However, I didn't realized that it was going to be so difficult to go there. I expected to spend more time there than I currently do. The city I'm in isn't really the most exciting to be in so I want a change towards a more vibrant environment. An hour away is not the same as being in the city itself.

2. Size

Maybe size does matter? Who knew it would. My school is about 3,000 undergraduate students and 2,000 graduate students. For some that would be perfect, but like I have said, "It's not you, It's me." I want a bigger school population. I feel that my high school is socially a large high school, something I wanted to avoid. While my high school was about 1500 students, I feel that I am kind of in a similar predicament. Double or triple is kind of what I want in a school. Not something the school can really control, yet it's something I didn't expect to affect me.

3. Campus Involvement

Home may be where the heart is, but your body doesn't have to be there every weekend. While my school does not have a very high commuter rate, it feels as if a majority of the school is not near campus as they seem to be back at home within the tri-state area. I understand the point of going back home to get a few things or to go back for a major event, yet every weekend you have to go back home? I feel it disrupts the flow of a vibrant campus. It does not help that there are scarce events on campus. Parties are good but there are quite a few. Yet, like the city, there isn't much to be seen nearby.

4. Campus Spirit

We could use a spirit stick or something on campus. There is not a great sense of school pride. I know the most obvious thing to say is "Make new traditions", however some things are not in place to make it happen. The best way to describe this is by explaining how our "welcome week", our very weak replacement for homecoming was. It was simply a tent near the soccer fields and allowing students to grab a bite to eat and watch our very good girls soccer team win. The problem is that there seems to be no type of pride on campus. There is not a special tradition or a true rival to call our own. I did not expect to miss this at all while I in college at all. It hit like a ton of bricks in the wind.

5. Longevity

"If your are not very happy about your school your freshman year, it's probably not going to get better your next 3-4 years." This was advice that stuck with me when I visited my Godfather this weekend on Long Island. There are very few times in life that a decision like this will create a different route for your life. You have to do what is right for you because at the end of the day, you are the one walking across that stage 3-4 years from now to acquire that degree. Do you want to look back on that stage and say "I'm happy to get the hell out of here." Or "What a time I have had here as an undergrad."?

Conclusion:

With all this in mind, and the blessings of my parent, I have decided to look into transferring to a different university next fall. The list is mostly different than my first year admission schools except for my number one which is my goal school to go to next fall. Plus with all of these things in mind, I have to really sit down and have a talk with my school. Sometimes the bad news is liberating to the mind and soul. With all that said "Baby, I'm sorry but I think we need to split up, it's not you at all, it's me."

Photo Credits: University of Connecticut office of Public Engagement

Jeremy Salley - University of Southern California

Jeremy Salley is a Senior at the University of Southern California. He is from Atlanta, GA and is majoring in International Relations. He is 6'6" and enjoys traveling. Follow him on Twitter @EmbraceMeHere or on Instagram @Jsalley21. #FreshUAlum