Display midtown atlanta site6
by Jeremy Salley

15 Reasons Why I Love my Hometown Atlanta

By Jeremy Salley - Dec 05 2015

With Finals coming up, here are 15 reasons why I am keeping my sanity at the moment.

1. The Summer Olympics were held here in 1996.

Was it a year before I was born? Yeah but it is still one of three cities to host the summer olympics in the United States. It was truly the first time the world was able to see how much of a global city Atlanta is.

2. Pop Culture lives and breathes here.

It’s nice to see Southside Native Cam Newton do the dab on national television. Until I see some lame kids try to do it in utter failure. This happens quite a bit though as many dances and little things in pop culture originate in the Capital of Georgia.

3. Music In Atlanta> Music from 99% of the country

Outkast, Future, TI, Jeezy, Usher,Zac Brown Band, Cartel, John Mayer(kinda). These names alone have created a new wave of music consistently played around the country. Regularly I get slandered for praising Atlanta music by the New Yorkers here, yet they love Migos and Future at parties so I pardon their cockiness in their music taste.

4. The amount of food options

The first Waffle House was opened in the side of the city in Avondale Estates. The first Chik-Fil-A was first established at Greenbriar Mall in the West End. The Varsity on North Ave overlooking the Downtown Connector Moe’s was founded off of Peachtree St. in Buckhead. The list of places that were first established in Atlanta is large. Its truly a food culture not very well understood yet very respected.

5. Football is King

Friday Night Lights is real. In the 2015 NFL Draft, Over a majority of the draft picks came from two states. The states are Florida and, you guessed it, Georgia. Saturdays are also huge due to UGA and GA Tech. This also includes your parents alma maters, like my mom and Alabama in our household every Saturday Night. Sundays are so important, that the pastor knows we have be out by at least 12:15 for the Falcons game that usually starts at 1. Football is crucial.

6. Sinning on Saturday, Repenting on Sunday

Atlanta has a nightlife that can compete with the top places in world. Atlanta has a reputation for clothes on clubs such as Mansion Elan or “The Strip Club Capital of the World” with the most notorious clubs in the world. It is usual to hear the legends of “Magic City Mondays” or “Follies Fridays” roaming through the streets of Atlanta. It also helps that because the city is a major city on the bible belt, you can have as much sin as you want Monday-Saturday and repent in the front row of the Altar on Sunday.

7. Looking for Gucci Flip Flops?

The day Future talked about committing Adultery in Gucci Flip Flops, The Gucci store at the well known and respected Lenox Square in Buckhead sold out for about 2 months. Along with Lenox Square Mall, there is Phipps Plaza, Stonecrest Mall, South Dekalb Mall, Greenbriar Mall, West End Mall, Mall of Georgia, amongst others to accommodate your shopping needs.

8. History is forever living in the city

From a capitol of the Civil Rights movement, to hosting the first Cable News Network (CNN), the amount of history in the Atlanta area is very much overlooked. There are many controversial areas such as the Stone Mountain Confederate Memorial to the landmarks of the Union Armin burning the city to its core in the same war. There is a type of history to fit any person’s interest.

9. Education

Are our public school districts consistently under investigation for cheating and corruption? Sure, but the higher learning in Atlanta is a cut above most cities. They include Emory University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia State University, and the famous Atlanta University Center consisting of the beautiful women of Spelman college, the Brothers of Morehouse College, and the sensational Clark Atlanta University. The amount of research in city by these schools along with about 20 other colleges and universities.

10. Piedmont Park

One of my favorite things to do during the summer was to park my car at Grady High School and enjoy my time at the large park. From the Atlanta Botanical Gardens to the Converse Courts, there is an amazing amount of activities that are done on any given day. From major Concerts, such as Music Midtown where Drake Headlined and announced What A Time To Be Alive with Future, to simple little family gatherings just to enjoy the best view in Atlanta.

11. 404, 678, 770 Area Codes

Best Codes Ever, No debate.

12. Unique Neighborhoods

From Zone 1- Zone 6, Eastside, Westside, Southside, and Northside. The city can change in a matter of seconds. Atlanta has been a leader in gentrification yet many areas are still in their wonderful historic sense from as early as the 1870’s.

13. You might not die here because of our healthcare

Silently, Atlanta is a city where if worst comes to worst, you’ll make it out alive. Grady Hospital, well known for its appearances on the Walking Dead, is consistently one of the best in the country with trauma treatment (yet the worst in almost every other aspect known to man). Emory Hospital System (One of which I was born at in Midtown Atlanta) may be best remembered for treating the Ebola Outbreak of 2014 which put the city under a lot of pressure to prove its worth. Other notables include Northside Hospital, which delivers more babies than any other hospital in the United States.

14. Financial Success

The city is rich. Richer than most. With 26 Fortune 500 companies are based in the Atlanta, the 4th most in the country, The city has the luxury of being a safe haven for young people looking for good jobs. From Coca-Cola, Delta, and Home Depot, to Suntrust, UPS, and Cox Enterprises, the assortment of work is unbelievable.

15. Welcome To Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport

The best part of Atlanta to me outside of my family will always be the Airport. It is the world’s busiest airport. It is probably the largest that many will ever see. What I find amazing about it is that it is the first and last impression many experience in Atlanta. It enables Southern Hospitality with a modern edge rarely seen in other places.

Lead Photo Credits: Atlanta Business Chronicle

Jeremy Salley - University of Southern California

Jeremy Salley is a Senior at the University of Southern California. He is from Atlanta, GA and is majoring in International Relations. He is 6'6" and enjoys traveling. Follow him on Twitter @EmbraceMeHere or on Instagram @Jsalley21. #FreshUAlum