Display akendrick lamar and cereal.jpg
by Jeremy Salley

11 Songs That Perfectly Sum Up My College Life

By Jeremy Salley - Nov 06 2015

Music is life-changing, and it can speak to you in more ways than one depending on where you're currently at in your life. With that being said, here are 11 songs that accurately describes how I feel living life as a college student.

1. Cooler Than Me by Mike Posner

This has always been a funny song to me, but sometimes the lyrics relate back to college life more than you'd think. There have been many times that I’ve walked into the dining hall with this song flowing through my head as I attempt to woo someone on campus. Sometimes they may be cooler than you, but a quick shrug will keep you going on your way; and being on a college campus gives you plenty of time to move on to the next one.

2. Here By Alessia Cara

“I’m sorry if I seem uninterested”, those 6 words at the beginning of the song are the best way to describe how I feel about 98% of the parties I’ve been to in my life. For some the party life is amazing, but for others, the party life is not for us at all. You can catch me in the corner with my beanie deep on my head and Iphone gripped in my hand. For basic parties, this song perfectly describes my outlook on them.

3. Faneto By Chief Keef

I am from East Atlanta, yet it doesn’t matter if I am in Chicago, Brooklyn, Boston, or DC, this song changes the atmosphere in a heartbeat. This song has to be given a Nobel Prize, not Nobel Peace Prize, because it is engineered to make those listening to it drastically reckless. Whenever I hear this in a club, it is all out for the most part. Its exciting and vibrant. It is silently perfect as a symbol of being young and on your own. Just be careful of your surroundings when it plays….It could bring the cops out.

4. No Tellin By Drake

It is November and I still have no clue about college exactly. This song was picked for 2 reasons. The obvious one is that the uncertainty is what's so pleasing. Drake describes life as just being extremely unpredictable. “Yeah, staying up late at night, thinkin’ ‘bout my life, Want a lot, Will I get it all? Ain’t No Tellin”. The second reason is because of the unexpected twist that happens in the middle of the song. It is easily my second favorite twist in a song ever. In the twist, the expectations shift over time. Anything is possible with this change that is unexpected.

5. Lost By Frank Ocean

Am I still mad that Frank Ocean finessed us out of a highly anticipated sophomore album? Of course. Does that mean that channel ORANGE was not a top 50 album of all time? Hell No. This song was pick because of the theme of being “Lost in the Heat of it All”. Regardless of how big or small the city you are in for your school is, we are lost to an extent trying to find our way through this first year. The story is a little bit more serious as he is pushing weight with his girlfriend around the world trying to avoid law enforcement but, then again, I’m always avoiding the Financial Aid office so I understand the feeling.

6. Lovehate Thing By Wale featuring Sam Dew

“This Ain’t Right, This is Life, This a love hate thing”. Wale is underrated. I have this fight everyday with the Northerners daily but they became immediately silent when this song is mentioned. This song was selected because this is the best song to describe my college experience in its entirety. Everything is love hate in college. Hookups, relationships, food, classes, clubs, girls, friends, wants, needs. Life is not easy. It is hell on earth some days but on others it is heaven at its finest.

7. Ten Crack Commandments By Notorious B.I.G.

*NO, I DO NOT SELL OR DO DRUGS NOR CONDONE THE SELLING OF NARCOTICS.* Now that that's out of the way, I can explain why. Many of the Rules are very relatable to business and life in general. Simple things like not showing your next move, keep family and business separate, or don’t believe in debt. Listening to this song more and more makes you understand that it is general. No harm done, just laying out that foundation we as freshman are feigning for.

8. Under Pressure By Logic

“Under Pressure, I’ve been feeling under pressure.” College is a grind, anybody who says it is easy has to be a underwater basket weaving major with a 4.0. This song was picked for two reasons. This 1st is while Logic, a High School Dropout from Maryland, is easily a top 3 rappers under 25, he is explaining the reasons of why he is achieving success through hard work and family motivation. The 2nd reason is because it is perfect for a student who can either do a assignment the night he receives it or the night before it is due. Pressure does make Diamonds, it also kills a lot of people so being under it is why this song is pivotal.

9. Pursuit of Happiness By Kid Cudi Featuring MGMT & Ratatat

I am personally struggling with this pursuit right now. However if college has taught one thing, there is beauty in the struggle. This song is very calming in the most stressful situations. It is the first song of the Nightmare part of the infamous Kid Cudi album “Man on the Moon: The End of Day”. We are all going through this struggle to an extent. The struggles of freedom to do what we want, it is challenging yet beautiful.

10. Black Boy Fly By Kendrick Lamar

This song has a special place in my heart. Yes, the name of it is accurate because I want to fly away to my utopia, however I realized that it is bigger than me. I want my life to be a layout for another young kid to come up after me. It is the main reason why I want to accomplish my goal of becoming a United States Ambassador. Kendrick goes deep into detail of role models for him to see and his fear of them, along with him, being the last ones to make it out of their city. It is beautiful because while we are lucky, “Only one in a million will see better days”. It is a very good song to stay humble and ambitious.

11. U Don’t Have To Call (Cover) By Childish Gambino

A cover as my last song? This doesn't make much sense to those who don't know my background. Donald Glover grew up 10 minutes away in the next town over on the east side of Atlanta, GA. This song is last on my list is because of the fact he talks about home. I’m from Lithonia, so I went crazy when he mentioned it in a song heard by many around the world. It is very nostalgic of my hometown. It brings back memories of good times out on the East Side trying to figure it all out. 

Featured Photo Credits : Vice Magazine

Jeremy Salley - University of Southern California

Jeremy Salley is a Sophomore at the University of Southern California. He is from Atlanta, GA and is majoring in International Relations. He is 6'6" and enjoys traveling. Follow him on Twitter @Embrace_Me_Now or on Instagram @Jsalley21. #FreshUAlum