Display oct 13 article
by Jennifer Sutor

10 Things to Do on Campus This Fall

By Jennifer Sutor - Oct 12 2015

As the fall season opens up for this year, the internet is bombarded with pictures of pumpkin patches, apple orchards, pumpkin spice lattes, and every other stereotype associated with fall. For us college students, it can be increasingly hard to partake in these fall time festivities because we are stuck on campus or can’t afford to do every single thing we see online. However, there’s no need to get discouraged and give up on having your perfect fall season. Here are 10 fun things you can do on a budget without having to leave your college campus.

1. Make a Leaf Pile

As cliché and childish as this sounds, gathering a bunch of friends to create the largest leaf pile possible is a sure fire way to laugh and have fun. You can use your hands or anything you have in your dorm room to collect your leaves. Don’t forget to break out your phones to take the perfect photo to remember you jumping into the pile!

2. Have a Hot Cocoa and Cozy Sweater Night

We’ve all seen the Tumblr photos of girls in comfy sweaters with a cozy looking mugs of hot chocolate on a cold day, right? Here’s your chance to recreate the photo! Pick out your favorite movie, grab some Starbucks or make your own hot chocolate, throw on the comfiest sweater you own, and you’re set.

3. Trick or Treat in Your Dorm

Just because we’re college students doesn’t mean we have to give up on the fun of Halloween. Simply round up all your friends and have your whole floor (or entire dorm if everyone is interested!) go trick-or-treating. You can hand out pieces of gum, scraps of paper with motivational sayings, or even candy if you have some! This is a great way to meet anyone on your floor you haven’t met yet, while having fun with your friends at the same time.

4. Enjoy a Stroll

Falling leaves and all the colors come with fall are beautiful - so why not take the time to enjoy the fall weather? Grab a friend or two and wander around campus, looking at the leaves and talking about anything. It’s a great way to enjoy the changing seasons and catch up with friends. Oh, and did I mention it’s free?

5. Study Outside

Just because it’s the perfect time of year to relax and enjoy the weather doesn’t mean you can’t be a little productive too. Grab a blanket or find a cozy bench and get some studying done in the fresh air. You'll be efficient and still get to enjoy the weather. 

6. Have a Sports Weekend

Even if you don’t like watching sports, hanging out with friends and talking for hours on end is still fun. Put on a football or baseball game and order a pizza. You and your friends can enjoy each other’s company while enjoying the food and fun that goes along with an afternoon of sports.

7. Get Lost on Campus

Here’s the perfect opportunity to explore all the places you haven’t been to yet on your campus. Find a random part of your school you haven’t had the need to go to before and wander around. You can get lost in your own campus, and learn about a location you might have to go to eventually.

8. Create a Fall Playlist

Open up your Spotify or iTunes and create a fall-inspired playlist. Pick the songs that you’ve been loving recently, or search for new music you haven’t heard before. Create the perfect playlist for car rides, study sessions, or pre-Friday night plans.

9. Go to a University Sponsored Event

Campuses have free events for students all the time, you just have to search and find them. Whether it be a sporting event, a movie night, or a service project, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved on campus this fall.

10. Have a late night adventure

Okay, considering it gets darker faster in the fall, a "late night" adventure can be as early as 8:30, but it still counts. Grab a few friends, bundle up in jackets, and wander around your campus at night. Play tag in the quad, explore the creepy corners of the buildings, and make memories that will last a lifetime. Just be sure to be safe and always stay with your friends.

The fall season doesn’t mean you have to sulk about not being able to do all the stereotypical fall events. Instead, take the opportunity to go on new adventures and have a perfect, budget-friendly fall on campus.

Lead Photo Credit: AZ Photography 

Jennifer Sutor - Butler University

Jennifer Sutor is a freshman at Butler University where she is studying marketing. When she's not studying or drinking coffee, Jennifer enjoys exercising, baking and handbag shopping. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @jennifersutor!