Display cpwyamqvyaaanxt.jpg large
by Jenna Ciccotelli

University of Texas Students Are Protesting Campus Carry Laws With Dildos

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Aug 29 2016

Under Texas state law, it's legal to carry your handgun but not your dildo, which is exactly the angle students at the University of Texas have taken in their protest of the new "campus carry" law.

"We are fighting absurdity with absurdity," Jessica Jin, leader of the "Cocks Not Glocks" protest, told the Huffington Post. Students involved in the protest handed out hundreds of sex toys during a rally while students returned to classes for the fall semester. Openly displayed sex toys are illegal under local indecency laws.

Legislation backed by Republican leaders was passed at the beginning of August that allows students over the age of 21 with a license to carry a firearm to bring handguns into classrooms and other university areas.

"It's scary to think that at any moment you could be next to a person carrying a gun," said Bianca Montgomery, a sophomore at the University. 

Despite the heavy protest, there is support of the law on campus. Third year student Forrest Sullivan told the Huffington Post he feels safer under the law. "Their rhetorical strategy is going to alienate a lot of people who are on the fence about this," he said of the protest.

University faculty have fought unsuccessfully to block the law. A U.S. district judge denied an effort from three University of Texas professors who wanted to ban guns in their classroom.

Lead Image Credit: CocksNotGlocks via Twitter

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University