by Jenna Ciccotelli

To My Favorite High School Teacher

By Jenna Ciccotelli - May 08 2016

During high school, everyone is constantly changing and growing. I'm lucky enough to have had someone remain constant throughout my own experience in high school. With graduation around the corner, it felt like the right time to say thank you to my favorite teacher - though no words could ever express how grateful I am.

Thank you for doing your job.

Even though I’ve complained about the workload, deep down there is nothing that I would have rather been doing all year than constantly having something new to read and write. Your love for your job is clear to see, and it has fostered my love for English and journalism more than I could have ever imagined. Because of you, I am positive that working in these fields is exactly what I should be doing.

via GIPHY

Thank you for being there.

Over the years, I have considered you a friend. You have always been a text or email away, ready to give me advice about anything whenever I’ve needed it. If there was a class I didn’t feel like going to for one reason or another, I knew it was okay to come hang out in your room. Thank you for letting me gossip, laugh, and cry with you (and thanks for playing matchmaker that one time.)

That being said, thank you for putting me in my place.

As much as we’d both like to think that I’m mature and wise beyond my years, there have been times that I haven’t been the easiest to deal with. I’m sorry for when I’ve made it hard, but thank you for being able to sit me down and set me straight.

via GIPHY

Thank you for encouraging me.

I’ve had a lot of crazy ideas over the years, but you have always been my personal cheerleader. Though you have always realistically warned me about what I try to do, you are always waving the checkered flag and seeing me through to the end, whatever the outcome.

High school isn't easy for anyone, but I'm thankful that I've had you by my side through it.

Lead Image Credit: Barry Pousman // Flickr Creative Commons

Want more from Fresh U? Like us on Facebook!

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University