by Jenna Ciccotelli

Tinder Use Has More Than Doubled in the Olympic Village

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Aug 14 2016

Athletes often have plenty of downtime in between their events to refresh and recharge, but according to data supplied to the Daily Mail, they're using that time for something else — to hook up with other athletes.

Over the past weekend as athletes moved into the Olympic Village, the amount of matches in the area grew 129 percent. 

"The number of active users within the confines of the 2.5 million square meter village shot up by 64 percent, while the number of 'swipes' — the method by which users pick potential partners — soared by 69 percent," wrote Ben Ashford of the Daily Mail. The amount of superlikes, which allows users to pick their best looking match of the day, soared up 73 percent. 

Athletes that are reportedly using Tinder in the village include French water polo player Rémi Saudadier, Dutch gymnast Bart Deurloo, Greek swimmer Stefanos Dimitriadis and South African swimmer Roland Schoeman, according to the Daily Mail.

While it could be due to pure boredom — one source told the Daily Mail, "There are only so many times you can play the same video games or wait in line for a free McDonald's," — it could be a consequence of Olympic officials' decision to give out over 400 thousand condoms to athletes, or in response to a new study that shows having sex is like taking steroids.

Lead Image Credit: Wochit news

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University