by Jenna Ciccotelli

This Woman Got Stood Up, But Her Reaction Was Perfect

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Jul 23 2016

Getting stood up on a date is not fun. If it happens to you, it's understandable to go home and never want to go on a date ever again. Mimi Black did the opposite, and took the opportunity to spend some time treating herself. Her experience went viral, but the bigger picture is even more important.

The 21 year old Scottish woman was recently stood up and spent the day buying lingerie and having drinks, McDonald's, and ice cream after her date failed to show. She chronicled her experience on Snapchat and later tweeted screenshots. The tweet began to go viral, with over 6,000 retweets and 16,000 likes.

But there's more to the story. Black runs a mental health blog, where she chronicles her battle with bipolar disorder, which she was diagnosed with at the age of 19. She uses the blog as a mood diary in an effort to raise awareness. 

After her experience was met with negative comments, she vented on her blog. 

"It’s difficult to have thousands of people make an assumption about you from a ‘sassy’ half-hearted Snapchat story." 

She also shared her feelings on Twitter.

"I don’t think this silly story of me being stood up is inspiring whatsoever, because it is just silly. When you have a mind where you overthink every little thing and anxiety twists and strangles your every single thought process, it’s difficult doing normal things like going on dates," Black wrote. 

Black is handling her situation with poise and grace, and directing people to donate to her favorite charity.

"I felt like a real girl, not the ill girl. So please don’t take my positivity away. I felt confident, sexy, sassy and happy – and I’d never want any other woman to feel any differently," she wrote.

Congrats on doing something for you, and don't let anyone tell you to feel any other way than you want to! For all you people out there, take time to do something fun for you. Just be yourself and be happy!

Lead Image Credit: Snapchat

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University