by Jenna Ciccotelli

This Olympic Selfie Is What the Olympics Are All About

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Aug 11 2016

Millions of selfies are taken every day across the globe -- our iPhones even come preloaded with a photo album just for them (and a camera, to boot). But a selfie taken by two Olympians may be the most important picture to come out of the Games so far.

During a practice session, South Korea’s Lee Eun Ju and and North Korean Hong Un Jong posed for a picture before the gymnasts competed in the artistic gymnastics qualifier. The selfie highlights a moment of friendship between two competitors amid their respective countries' hostile relationship. 

The selfie, which has been shared thousands of times on Twitter and other social networks, is a reminder of the peace and friendship that is an underlying message of the Olympics.

While other athletes are excelling in their sports, they're not doing so well in the friendship category. 

Kosovo declared independence from Serbia in 2008 and is returning to the Olympics for the first time, yet Serbian officials have forbidden their athletes from appearing on medal stands with Kosovian athletes. Lebanese athletes refused to share a bus with the Israeli team on the way to the opening ceremonies as a result of the ongoing conflict between Israel and the Arab states. American swimmer Lilly King raised controversy after she called out her Russian rival Yulia Efimova, who is back in the Olympics after an alleged doping scandal.

Lead Image Credit: Bryan Armen Graham via Twitter

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University