by Jenna Ciccotelli

This NC State Freshman Went Viral For Capturing His Own Selfie High-Five

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Oct 10 2016

A North Carolina State University student is going viral after he tweeted a picture of himself high-fiving himself.

Seth Schneider, an engineering student, sent out the image on Oct. 8. It has over 165,000 retweets and has been liked over 420,000 times since then. He told Fresh U through Twitter DM how the idea came to him.

"I was sitting around my house waiting for football games to start and I thought to myself, 'I wonder if I can do this.' It took about a maximum of 20 tries. I wasn't really counting." 

Schneider's tweet has led to other Twitter users attempting the same feat. 

"Be careful if you're choosing to do this," he warns to readers of Fresh U. He has updated his Twitter bio to include a disclaimer: "I am not responsible for any broken phones." 

Many Twitter users have reached out to Schneider, accusing him of taking a screenshot of a video and passing it off as an image, but he promises Fresh U that he is telling the truth. 

"It really is a picture. The phone's camera has just enough of a delay to allow you to move and do something before it actually take the picture, so I just took advantage of the delay."

Schneider said to Fresh U that going viral has not changed his peers' perception of him. 

"It's not me that went viral, it's the blurry picture practically covering my face."

While he enjoys seeing the response to his idea, Schneider said he is ready for his fame to pass. 

"I just think it's funny that so many people find it so amazing. I'm ready for all this to settle down so  I can go back to sitting on Twitter and finding funny stuff without my phone blowing up."

Lead Image Credit: Seth Schneider via Twitter

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University