by Jenna Ciccotelli

This 10-Year-Old Will Enroll at Carnegie Mellon University

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Oct 04 2016

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, William Maillis will be enrolling at Carnegie Mellon University next fall. Maillis has an extensive knowledge of alphasyllabary (consonant based languages, one of which he is creating on his own), geometry and trigonometry. He aspires to be an astrophysicist, with ideas about black holes and gravity that counter those of Stephen Hawking.

Maillis turned 10 on October third.

Post-Gazette

This past spring, Maillis graduated from Penn-Trafford High School in Pennsylvania and was invited to enroll at Carnegie Mellon University this summer. Below is a video of Maillis giving a speech at his high school graduation ceremony that his father, Greek Orthodox Priest Peter Maillis, posted on YouTube.

Father Maillis told the The Post-Gazette that his son was doing addition when he was 21 months old and could use sign language and read Greek at age four. He also recalled the story of when William, at age five, brought a geometry textbook to bed and had memorized pi to the fifteenth decimal (to which William countered it was the twentieth.) Khan Academy online classes also helped him rapidly increase his learning.

"He also tried explaining to a clueless audience about counting by infinities, then went off to draw a stylized map of Europe from memory that included every country represented by a circle whose size reflected its relative geographic size, and included each nation’s flag. He was done in minutes. When it comes to history, he’s been described as a human timeline."

William and his family decided to defer his acceptance to Carnegie Mellon to next fall. For now, he is taking classes at a local community college in an effort to get used to a full college schedule and workload.

Post-Gazette

Though he is incredibly advanced academically, Father Maillis stresses that his son is just like other children his age. 

"He’s a normal kid. You can’t distinguish him from other 9-year-olds. He likes sports, television shows, the computer and video games like everyone else."

Lead Image Credit: Peter Maillis via Youtube

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University