by Jenna Ciccotelli

These Schools Have the Most Olympic Gold Medals

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Aug 15 2016

In true Olympic spirit, Total Frat Move has compiled a list of the top 25 colleges and universities in regards to Olympic Games gold medal counts. The guys over at TFM tallied gold winners' college affiliations from the first Summer Games in 1896, to the most recent in 2012. 

According to Total Frat Move, the top 3 schools for gold medal winners are as follows:

3. Yale University

The Connecticut Ivy League takes the third spot in the list of most gold winners ever, with a total of 39. They've sent 40 athletes since 1948, and their most popular sport is rowing.

2. Stanford University

Stanford takes silver in the race for most golds, coming in with a total of 45 gold medals for the 41 athletes they have sent to the games since 1912. There must be something over in the water at Stanford -- current gold medalists Katie Ledecky and Simone Manuel are two recent faces in Stanford's most popular Olympic sport.

1. University of California, Berkeley

With a total of 93 gold medals between 98 total athletes, UC Berkeley comes in first for most gold medal affiliations. They've been producing medal winners since 1920, especially in rowing. This year, the school sent 50 athletes and coaches to Rio, including Missy Franklin and Alex Morgan.

Curious to see if your school makes it up that podium? Check out the full list from Total Frat Move here.

Lead Image Credit: NBC

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University