by Jenna Ciccotelli

These Are the 10 Best Cities to Live In Post-Grad

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Jul 07 2016

Forbes Magazine, in conjunction with job search site ZipRecruiter, released a list of the top up and coming cities to live in following college graduation. "To identify the cities gaining traction with recent college graduates, job search site ZipRecruiter looked at cities with low median rents, low competition, a high percentage of open jobs for candidates with a college degree, and high concentrations of residents ages 21 to 24, and a broad offering of leisure activities," according to Kathryn Dill.

Cincinnati Metropolitan Area, Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana

The Cincinnati metropolitan area incorporates nearby counties in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. According to the list released by Forbes, retail, insurance, and customer service are major industries in the area, and positions such as bank tellers are available at the entry level. 

Austin-Round Rock, Texas

9 percent of the population of this Texas area is aged 21-24. Education, healthcare, and hospitality are the top industries, and ZipRecruiter states that the city benefits from "a thriving live music scene." This area boasts the lowest unemployment rate on ZipRecruiter's list, at 3.1 percent.

Madison, Wisconsin

Beating out Austin with a population of 11 percent aged 21-24, average rent on a Madison apartment is $775 per month. Like Cincinnati, jobs in insurance, costumer service, and hospitality are the most popular.

Columbus, Ohio

With an unemployment rate of 4.4 percent, Columbus' major industries include computer software, education, and healthcare. 

Albany-Schenectady-Troy, New York

With almost 12 percent of the population aged between 21 and 24, the area is rampant with opportunities in education, event planning, and insurance.

Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, Minnesota/Wisconsin

The area boasts many wetlands and lakes for watersports in your free time away from your job in one of their three major industries: accounting, administration, and education.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

The capital city boasts an employment rate of under 4 percent and cheaper rent at around $670 per month. The area's top industries include advertising, event planning, and insurance.

Kansas City, Missouri/Kansas

The area is rich in musical history with the American Jazz Museum nearby. Top industries include accounting, engineering, and banking.

Salt Lake City, Utah

Beautifully nestled in the mountains, the capital city also offers the famous Sundance Film Festival, if you can get time off from working in computer software, education, or information technology.

Grand Rapids Metropolitan Area, Michigan

With the second lowest unemployment rate on the list (3.4 percent), the area is a great place to create a career in insurance, education, or healthcare.

ZipRecruiter's 2016 study can be viewed in full here.

Lead Image Credit: Anthony Delanoix via Unsplash

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University