Display fd1a46885ee2353bd216c72e105cd956
by Jenna Ciccotelli

Rice's Marching Band Made Fun Of Baylor And Title IX During Halftime

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Sep 19 2016

Rice University took on Baylor in football and their halftime show at their most recent competition, and while the Bears may have won according to the scoreboard, the Marching Owls Band's performance is what will resonate with all of us.

In case you missed it, Baylor has come under fire in 2016 for its mishandling of sexual assault cases. According to USA Today, a lawsuit was filed in March, followed by another in June, against Baylor as three victims claimed that no action was taken on the part of the university or "the part of the football program in particular."

Adam Coleman, the Houston Chronicle's Rice beat writer, tweeted a video from the game that shows Rice's band forming an "IX" on the field, referring to Title IX (and Baylor's inability to follow its regulations.)

Coleman also tweeted video of the band forming a star in reference to Ken Starr, the former president of Baylor who resigned in the wake of the sexual assault allegations.

Reactions to the halftime show have been mixed. Some feel that the show makes light of a heavy subject and pokes fun at the victims as well as the institution, while others think Rice was right to publicly ridicule Baylor.

Rice University has since issued a statement, which was tweeted by Coleman. The statement reads, in part:

"The Marching Owl Band, or MOB, has a tradition of satirizing the Rice Owls' football opponents. We regret any offense, particularly if Baylor fans may have felt unwelcome in our stadium."

It's understandable the Rice (and the rest of the world) want to shed light on the shortcomings of Baylor, but it makes sense to feel that they should have approached it differently. Hopefully, good things will come out of this publicity.

Lead Image Credit: Adam Coleman via Twitter

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University