Display eae0a1da
by Jenna Ciccotelli

Our Generation is Incredibly Well-Behaved, According to a New Report

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Jun 12 2016

Sometimes, our parents give us a hard time. Some would go as far as saying that they never behaved like we do, and they're right. According to Vox, chances are, they behaved worse.

Since 1991, the federal government's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has sent out the Youth Risk Behavior Report to high school students every other year. The CDC recently published a 180 page report with the latest data, with statistics that say, in regards to drugs, alcohol and sexual health, our generation is the best behaved since the start of the study over two decades ago. 

In 1995, 70.1 percent of teens had tried a cigarette at least once, and 27.5 percent smoked them regularly. Both numbers have dropped significantly, with just 32.3 percent of teens today reporting to having tried cigarettes and 10.8 percent smoking them on a regular basis. Alcohol usage has also seen a decline. In 1995, 81.6 percent of teenagers had tried alcohol, compared to 63.2 percent of teens today. Alcohol abuse and binge drinking rates have declined by a third.

Vox

Teen pregnancy rates have decreased to half of what they were in 1995. 2.3 percent of teen girls gave birth in 2015, compared to 5.6 percent two decades earlier. This drop in teenage pregnancies can be attributed to the fact that fewer teens are having sex today- 54.1 percent of teens had sex at least once in 1995, while 41.2 percent reported this in the most recent study. There is also preliminary evidence that suggests teens today are better at using contraceptives.

Vox

Drugs, sex and alcohol usage aren't the only things our generation handles well. The CDC also found that our generation wears a seatbelt more than any other and has the lowest reported instances of being in a physical fight or carrying a weapon to school.

For more statistics and information on the CDC's findings, check out this summary provided by Vox.

Lead Image Credit: Jordan McQueen via Unsplash

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University