Display download
by Jenna Ciccotelli

One of the Nation's Oldest Fraternities Now Accepts Trans Members

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Jul 07 2016

One of the nation's oldest fraternities recently announced that they will change their membership policy to include transgender men, effective immediately.

Chi Phi, founded at Princeton University in 1824, voted in their recent Congress to change the policy. The fraternity then posted a press release on Facebook which stated that "any male as defined by valid legal documentation" will be eligible for membership.

According to Cosmopolitan, the change comes after a student published his own testimony about rushing the fraternity -- and ultimately being denied membership by the fraternity's executive director because of his legal documentation as a female. 

"The fact that this change comes as a result of Congressional vote is a testament that our Fraternity and its individual members want to make Chi Phi more inclusive," undergraduate chairman of the Committee of Membership Sam Borchart said. "One change is never a stopping point, and we hope this opens the door to further discussion about inclusivity."

ThinkProgress reports that Trinity University's Zeta Chi sorority is also believed to accept trans members.

Lead Image Credit: Chi Phi Berkeley

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University