Display photo 1455026733626 d2d31efe4976
by Jenna Ciccotelli

A New Survey Draws Interesting Conclusions About Students' Sleep

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Aug 11 2016

A new study by Chegg has brought interesting information about students' sleeping habits to light. 

The survey was sent out through email to 473 college students from public and private universities and asked various questions regarded students' personal lives and their sleep habits. 

Most students' were aware of the effect sleep has on their grades -- "the effect of sleep deprivation on grades is roughly equivalent to binge drinking and drug use," according to the Huffington Post. Over half strongly agreed or agreed with the statement that lack of sleep negatively effects grades.

Students agreed that sleep was important, with 84 percent saying that they want to get eight hours of sleep or more per night, but only 16 percent of students surveyed are meeting that goal. Why?

The most-cited reason for lack of sleep was having too much homework, but 51 percent of students claimed that spending "too much time online doing non-school related things" was hindering their sleep.

https://www.chegg.com/press/cheggheads-panel-college-students-sleep-study/

The big takeaway from this study is that, as students, we know that our habits are negatively affecting our sleep, and we want to get the sleep we need, yet we do nothing about it. Are you catching enough z's?

Lead Image Credit: nomao saeki via Unsplash

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University