Display photo 1445384763658 0400939829cd
by Jenna Ciccotelli

Hitting the Gym Could Help You As You Hit the Books, According to New Study

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Jun 19 2016

Exercising might be a favorite activity to put off studying, but new research suggests that it may help you after all.

According to The Huffington Post, a new study organized by Scottish and Dutch researchers offered initial evidence that "properly timed physical exercise can improve memory retention."

In the study, 72 people were divided into groups and asked to complete a memory task. Two of the three groups were asked to complete exercise following the task – the first group immediately after, the second four hours later. The third group was asked not to exercise at all. Two days later, the participants were asked to complete a follow-up memory task. The group who waited before exercising performed 10 percent better on the test than other groups. 

"Further studies are necessary to define the optimal delay in humans," said Dr. Guillen Fernandez, who is a professor of neuroscience at Radboud University, to the Huffington Post. However, Fernandez was certain that exercise is "likely necessary" to improve memory.

The full study can be viewed in the journal Current Biology.

Lead Image Credit: Christopher Campbell via Unsplash 

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University