by Jenna Ciccotelli

Emma Watson Gave A Powerful Speech About Sexual Assault on College Campuses At The UN

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Sep 24 2016

Emma Watson spoke at the United Nations' General Assembly this week, presenting a powerful report about sexual assault on college campuses.

According to Cosmopolitan, Watson presented on behalf of HeForShe, the UN's campaign for gender equality, stressing a message of responsibility on behalf of universities worldwide to ensure a safe community for women.

"A university should be a place of refuge that takes action against all forms of violence," Watson said. "We believe that students should leave university believing in, striving for, and expecting societies of true equality in every sense and that universities have the power to be a vital catalyst for change.

Instagram user @emmacwatsons posted Watson's speech in several parts on her Instagram page, as well as several screenshots of the speech with subtitles. The first part of the speech is shown below.

Watson also expressed her hopes that Hillary Clinton would be elected as President of the United States this November.

During her speech, Watson shared HeForShe's first parity report, according to USA Today. The report is a list of 10 colleges and universities across the world that "have pledged to improve gender equality on campus." Georgetown University and Stony Brook University are the United States' representatives on the list, which includes institutions from France, the United Kingdom, Japan, Hong Kong, Canada, Brazil, and South Africa. 

Watson's looking out for all of us at college and speaking out for the safety and equality of us students. Thanks.

Lead Image Credit: United Nations via Youtube

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University