by Jenna Ciccotelli

Disney Student Employee Fired Over Tweet Is Reinstated

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Jul 22 2016

A student participating in Disney's College Program was fired for a tweet, but is now back on staff.

Shannon Sullivan tweeted a picture of a sign found in the Magic Kingdom restaurant where she worked, which advised staff members on how to reassure guests regarding alligator concerns. 

The sign stated:

"If a guest asks if we have gators in the water around Tom Sawyer's island (or any other bodies of water), the correct and appropriate response is, 'Not that we know of, but if we see one, we will call Pest Management to have it removed.' Please do not say that we have seen them before."

Shortly after Sullivan shared the sign on social media, it was removed and she was escorted from the park by her manager. The next day, as the media caught wind of what had happened, the vice president of the Magic Kingdom personally offered Sullivan her job back.

"At this point it became my morals and my integrity and what I believe in," Sullivan told the Orlando Sentinel. "I thought if I lose my job because of that, it's worth it to me." 

A Disney spokesperson confirmed to People that the sign was not posted by the company. 

Alligator precautions have been noticeable in Disney parks, following the death of 2 year old Lane Graves, who was taken by alligators earlier this summer.

All of the alligators on any of the rides have been removed in order to make guests feel more comfortable and less nervous while enjoying the rides and the parks.

Lead Image Credit: Thomas Kelley via Unsplash

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University