Display 306511 10150963644835958 1400848175 n
by Jenna Ciccotelli

The 10 Colleges that Receive the Most Applicants

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Oct 01 2016

Applying to college is a daunting task for anyone - it means tracking down recommendation letters, perfecting an essay, sitting for the SAT or ACT  and a whole lot of patience. One thing that we never consider is the work that admissions offices put in when they review all of these applications, and for the staff at these schools, it was no easy task.

The U.S. News and World Report publishes a series called "The Short List" where they publish data points that are of interest to college students and their families, such as the most and least expensive schools. Most recently, they published their list of schools with the most applicants.

University of California - Los Angeles has more applicants than any other college or university, according to U.S. News.

Eight of the top 10 schools are public universities in California. The University of California - Los Angeles took the top spot for the third year in a row, receiving almost 93,000 applications. Boston University, the only non-California school on the list last year, was joined this year by New York University. NYU and BU took the ninth and tenth spots, with 56,092 and 54,781 applicants, respectively.

New York University is a new addition to the top 10 list.

According to U.S. News, the average number of applicants among the top 10 schools was 68,325, which was far higher than the average of all the schools who submitted data, which came out to 7,432.

Last year, Boston University was the only school on the top 10 list that was located outside of California.

Interestingly enough, though these schools received the most applicants, none of them ranked on the lists of schools with the lowest acceptance rates or highest enrollment, U.S. News data shows.

The top 10 can be viewed in full here

Lead Image Credit: UCLA via Facebook

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University