by Jenna Ciccotelli

Australians Want Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, On Their Currency

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Sep 19 2016

Over 27,000 people have signed an online petition calling for a revamp of Australia's currency -- featuring Steve Irwin, who was known as the Crocodile Hunter.

According to Time Magazine, Irwin died ten years ago this September when he was injured by a stingray while filming in the Great Barrier Reef.

"It's been ten years without the Aussie icon and although he's been recognised in many ways I'd imagine we could all support the idea of going one step further (well deserved)," wrote Kyle Ryan, who drew up the petition. 

On Twitter, reactions were in favor of the proposal and spelled out good things for Australia's future, including increased tourism.

Time Magazine reported that the Australian Royal Mint's official policy does not generally allow currency to feature individuals other than the British Royal Family, but is open to suggestions for commemorative coins. Irwin has appeared on Australian currency previously, when he was featured on a dollar coin as part of a series featuring inspirational Australians.

Irwin's daughter Bindi told NewsCorp Australia that she felt it was an honor to have her father considered for Australian currency.  "His legacy will continue to inspire us all, he truly changed the world.”

Check out a video of the crocodile not feeling very happy about Irwin trying to film and capture him!

It's likely that we've all seen an episode of the Crocodile Hunter at one point or another, and even the smallest fans of Irwin can admit that he deserves to be honored in this way. We all grew up with him, and he did amazing things for conservation and animal awareness.

Lead Image Credit: Youtube

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University