by Jenna Ciccotelli

Auburn Student Admits to Lying About Domestic Abuse Claim, Potentially Ruining A Player's Future

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Sep 14 2016
All eyes were once on Jovon Robinson, a 6-0, 230 pound running back from Memphis, as he was the number one junior college player in the country before being recruited to Auburn. When a woman at Auburn came forward with a domestic abuse accusation against Robinson, all eyes were on him once again as he was dismissed from the team after being expected to start. Now, the focus of the story is shifting to the accuser, whose identity remains confidential, as she admitted to fabricating her claim against Robinson.

Emails and voicemails between the accuser, Auburn's head football coach Gus Malzahn, and the school's Title IX coordinator Kelley Taylor were released to AL.com.

In the initial email sent by the accuser to Malzahn, which was released by AL.com, the disagreement began after Robinson broke the accuser's necklace and did not apologize. 

"In the process to physically throw me out, Jovon managed to smash my head in the door and skin both of my knees on the hallway carpet. I now have two bloody knees, a bruised shoulder, and a knot above my eye," the accuser wrote.

The accuser explained to Malzahn that this was not the first incident of its kind involving Robinson, yet she wanted to "keep the situation as private as possible."

Prior to his dismissal from the team, Robinson denied wrongdoing in both the incident involving the young woman and a claim that Robinson and a teammate were involved in a physical altercation at a party. 

"I'm not the one in front of the camera making excuses, seek the truth,” Robinson tweeted on Wednesday from his private Twitter account, according to AL.com

Following the announcement of Robinson's dismissal, the accuser wrote another email to Malzahn, which was released by AL.com:

"I'm not sure if your decision today had anything to do with my situation a few weeks ago, but I just wanted you to know that I made up the entire thing simply because I was upset with Jovon at the time," she wrote.

Robinson has one season of college eligibility left and is also able to pursue a professional career after his dismissal from Auburn. AL.com dispelled rumors that he would continue his college career at Valdosta State. 

However, it doesn't matter what's next for Robinson, because wherever he may go, his wrongly tarnished reputation due to this false claim will follow.

Lead Image Credit: Youtube

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University