Display photo 1466175667095 155b423ebe6e
by Jenna Ciccotelli

Anti-Semitic Incidents Have Nearly Doubled On College Campuses

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Jun 29 2016

A new report published by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is discouraging in regards to the number of attacks on the Jewish population on college campuses and across the nation.

From 2005 to 2013, the amount of assaults, threats, harassment, and vandalism against Jews nationwide steadily declined from 1,757 incidents to 751. In 2014, there was a rise to 912 attacks during a time the ADL deemed a "particularly violent year for Jews." The increase was linked to the ongoing Gaza War in the Middle East.

On college campuses, 2015 was an even scarier time. The ADL saw an increase of nearly 100 percent in anti-Semitic incidents on college campuses -- from 47 to 90. These 90 incidents constitute for almost 10 percent of the national total. 

ADL supported these statistics on their website with examples of anti-Semitic campus violence, including the defacing of multiple Jewish fraternities across the country by attackers who spray painted swastikas on fraternity property. 

"For every incident reported, there’s likely another that goes unreported," ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt told Campus Reform. "The trend toward anti-Semitic violence is very concerning. We are disturbed that violent anti-Semitic incidents are rising."

Lead Image Credit: Rob Bye via Unsplash

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University