Display photo 1465849750859 837af5a9f709
by Jenna Ciccotelli

A Scientist Just Reminded Us About All Of Alcohol's Risks...And It's Terrifying

By Jenna Ciccotelli - Jul 30 2016

A new article published in the scientific journal “Addiction” collected all of the available evidence to argue that alcohol is incredibly bad for you.

Written by Jennie Connor, who, according to the Huffington Post, is a professor of epidemiology at New Zealand’s University of Otago, the article compiles a decade’s worth of studies from multiple cancer organizations.

The main focus of the article was alcohol’s contributions to cancer. 

“Alcohol is estimated to have caused approximately half a million deaths from cancer in 2012,” she writes. 

According to the article, the role alcohol plays in causing cancer is not concrete and largely depends on the “target organ.” There is a strong link, Connor says, between alcohol consumption and cancer in certain areas of the body, including the liver, colon, esophagus, and female breast, as well as contributions to the development of cancer in the prostate, pancreas, and skin.

A common misconception is the idea that drinking large amounts of alcohol is what may hurt the body, and then only in the liver. Connor provides evidence to sway such claims. 

“All drinkers have the same risk of mouth, esophagus, breast, and pharynx cancer,” she wrote, according to the Huffington Post.

While research confirms that alcohol may cause cancer, a relationship between alcohol and heart disease is not as clear. Other factors, including genetics and environmental factors, play a role in the development of cardiovascular diseases.

Alcohol may just be one factor that causes cancer and other health problems, but it is important to lower risk of these diseases any way possible.

As we all go back to college, it is important to make sure that you are safe and healthy and know the risks of all of the activities that you.

Lead Image Credit: Brandon Morgan via Unsplash

Jenna Ciccotelli - Northeastern University